A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Hard drive dead on arrival

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard drive dead on arrival

Took delivery of my new a7 on Friday, prestige w/innovation, and got the message navigation system failure. My sales assistant and the service manager were stumped. They ran diagnostics and determined my hard drive was faulty. They took the hard drive out of a similar a7 on the lot and put it in my car. No issues yet. Anyone have similar issues?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csomogyi
Took delivery of my new a7 on Friday, prestige w/innovation, and got the message navigation system failure. My sales assistant and the service manager were stumped. They ran diagnostics and determined my hard drive was faulty. They took the hard drive out of a similar a7 on the lot and put it in my car. No issues yet. Anyone have similar issues?
Hard drive? If it failed you wouldn't have any MMI function at all. I'm sure they swapped the MMI unit from another car, as the hard drive inside the unit is not a serviceable item.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

MMI worked fine. The only error/problem was navigation wouldn't work. We actually setup/customized MMI while trying to reboot the navigation system. They told me the hard drive was hot when it was removed.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It is not unusual for electronic components to fail very early in their lifecycle, a great majority of those defects are found at the manufacturing plant and never leave the factory. Your MMI unit obviously had a component that has slipped through.

The automotive service facilities today are neither trained nor equipped to do component level diagnostics/repairs, they just replace subassemblies. Most of the time they have no idea which actual component in that assembly has really failed.

That is what they did for you and solved the problem.

Last edited by fkaufman; 02-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are the MMI units interchangeable? For example, the car the unit was taken from had a dvd player in the glove box and mine doesn't. Wouldn't the settings/menu items be different?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Are the MMI units interchangeable? For example, the car the unit was taken from had a dvd player in the glove box and mine doesn't. Wouldn't the settings/menu items be different?
The MMI units are the same. The coding can be changed to tell it what devices are connected to it.

Last edited by fkaufman; 02-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

? DVD player in glove box? Mine has CD in there & DVD single unit in dash. Anyone have DVD in glove box?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I meant CD player in the glove box. Mine was built at the end of January 12' and the multi CD is no longer and option. Also, the ash tray is no longer an ash tray-it is a storage bin-without the lighter outlet.