A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

harsh suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harsh suspension

I just traded in my 2001 A6 4.2 for a 2012 A7 prestige, non-sports package.

I am totally shocked by how harsh this car has turned out to be, I wish I had discovered this prior to purchase. Does anyone know if anything can be done to improve the suppleness of the suspension? Every little roughness in the road in all but the very smoothest brand new pavement, is felt in my teeth. Its a disgrace to call this a luxury sedan, but maybe there is something I can do? I would even consider aftermarket shocks at this point as I love the car otherwise. Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewdman42
I just traded in my 2001 A6 4.2 for a 2012 A7 prestige, non-sports package.

I am totally shocked by how harsh this car has turned out to be, I wish I had discovered this prior to purchase. Does anyone know if anything can be done to improve the suppleness of the suspension? Every little roughness in the road in all but the very smoothest brand new pavement, is felt in my teeth. Its a disgrace to call this a luxury sedan, but maybe there is something I can do? I would even consider aftermarket shocks at this point as I love the car otherwise. Any suggestions?
what size are your rims?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +1...start with the wheel/tire setup...

19-, or even 18-inch wheels will allow you to run tires with more sidewall height. Ride quality would improve at the expense of cornering ability.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Also be sure to check your tire pressures. If you go by the door label, it's for max load conditions. Go by the manual which is usually a lot less. Reducing the pressure can make a huge difference in ride.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Comfort mode

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also be sure to check your tire pressures. If you go by the door label, it's for max load conditions. Go by the manual which is usually a lot less. Reducing the pressure can make a huge difference in ride.
Im sure you have probably already done this, but have you set the vehicle to comfort mode? It comes in dynamic as standard, and once you move it to comfort mode, it becomes less harsh and performance becomes less aggressive as well obviously.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sammy777
Im sure you have probably already done this, but have you set the vehicle to comfort mode? It comes in dynamic as standard, and once you move it to comfort mode, it becomes less harsh and performance becomes less aggressive as well obviously.
if the OP is In North America, there is no adjustable suspension in the C7 A6 or A7.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 20" wheels, non-sport. I've never felt the ride to be harsh. Actually, a couple days ago I had Eibach springs installed to tighten it up a little and to enhance the look of the car. Oh my god, I can't tell you how much better it rides. It's a bit firmer, not harsh at all. The handling is amazing. It seems faster too, as it moves forward quicker off the line. It stops better and of course, cornering is more precise and stable. And it's even more gorgeous now with the slightly lowered stance.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steelblue7
I have 20" wheels, non-sport. I've never felt the ride to be harsh. Actually, a couple days ago I had Eibach springs installed to tighten it up a little and to enhance the look of the car. Oh my god, I can't tell you how much better it rides. It's a bit firmer, not harsh at all. The handling is amazing. It seems faster too, as it moves forward quicker off the line. It stops better and of course, cornering is more precise and stable. And it's even more gorgeous now with the slightly lowered stance.
What's the drop on the Eibach springs? Can you post some pics?

TIA
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vuvision
What's the drop on the Eibach springs? Can you post some pics?

TIA
I didn't measure the drop but I'd approximate that there was a 1" reduction in the back and about 1.5", 1.7" in the front. I think it's where I want it, and even if it settles a little it'll still be good. I think Eibach states 0.8"-1.2" in back, and 1.5"+ front. I made the purchase mostly for aesthetics but I realized that there is much more to appreciate in its superior handling now.

My avatar is a pic after installation. Today is car wash day so I'll take a few more pics and post tonight.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=vuvision;24351276]What's the drop on the Eibach springs? Can you post some pics?

TIA[/QUOTE

here are some pics...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2834297

Quick Reply: harsh suspension