A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

harsh suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tires that come stock are not the best either. Mine came with Yokos and some come with Pirellis. Michelins and Bridgestones ride much better.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rwallen
The tires that come stock are not the best either. Mine came with Yokos and some come with Pirellis. Michelins and Bridgestones ride much better.
OP is talking about tooth chipping type of ride, I don't think the difference in tires would have caused this.

I have read in another forum that I frequent that the dealer may forgot to remove the suspension blocks from car before delivery. I'm not sure whether Audi would have these blocks in place during transit, but this may worth a look into.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks a lot for all the replies, I wasn't getting email notifies of the replies.

I have the non-sport 19 inch rims and all terrain tires, which I think have decently sized sidewalls already.

Yes the tire pressure was first thing I checked.

I am almost due for the first 5000 mile service so I will ask about the shock blocks. The thought did occur to me that there might be some kind of shipping blocker inside there preventing the thing from working properly. Honestly I don't know how anyone can consider this a good ride. If they can't fix it I will only drive this car a couple of years and take the hit on an expensive trade in. I love all the smiles from girls and positive comments from people the love the look of the car, love the electronics. The ride right now is so sub par its sickening.

On the plus side, when I brake hard it hardly dips the front end at all. But every little crack in the road hurts. I really realized it after a long 800 mile drive across nevada on I-80, by the end I was fatigued. i had a 2001 A6 4.2 that I drove for 11 years and was nothing like this.

Another thing I noticed is when I come to a complete stop, the springs kind of jiggle the car back and forth, like the absorbers are not even correct at all. it comes to a rest after a few jiggles, but it should come to a rest a lot more peacefully then that.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dewdman42
thanks a lot for all the replies, I wasn't getting email notifies of the replies.

I have the non-sport 19 inch rims and all terrain tires, which I think have decently sized sidewalls already.

I am almost due for the first 5000 mile service so I will ask about the shock blocks. The thought did occur to me that there might be some kind of shipping blocker inside there preventing the thing from working properly. Honestly I don't know how anyone can consider this a good ride. If they can't fix it I will only drive this car a couple of years and take the hit on an expensive trade in. I love all the smiles from girls and positive comments from people the love the look of the car, love the electronics. The ride right now is so sub par its sickening.

On the plus side, when I brake hard it hardly dips the front end at all. But every little crack in the road hurts. I really realized it after a long 800 mile drive across nevada on I-80, by the end I was fatigued. i had a 2001 A6 4.2 that I drove for 11 years and was nothing like this.

Another thing I noticed is when I come to a complete stop, the springs kind of jiggle the car back and forth, like the absorbers are not even correct at all. it comes to a rest after a few jiggles, but it should come to a rest a lot more peacefully then that.
Step #1: take a ride in a different A7

I"m sure somebody on the forum will meet you for coffee, or you could always goto the dealer
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by clintb
Step #1: take a ride in a different A7

I"m sure somebody on the forum will meet you for coffee, or you could always goto the dealer
You can take mine for a drive anytime you are in Toronto
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Those should be all season tires...

.... so I will ask about the shock blocks.
That would be shipping blocks at the tops of the shocks. You can take a look with a flashlight and see if they are still on there.

Shipping blocks

Installed on top of shock

No blocks
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't get it. Once I put my (US) car in comfort mode I found the ride extremely smooth and actually a lot closer to soft than stiff.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will take a look in the morning to see if the shipping blocks are there, thanks for the photos. Yes I mean all season.

Comfort mode on us models does not effect suspension asolare, you are imaging it.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I couldn't see any shipping spacers in there :-(. Which brings us back to asking for aftermarket suggestions to improve the ride of this vehicle.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by asolare
I don't get it. Once I put my (US) car in comfort mode I found the ride extremely smooth and actually a lot closer to soft than stiff.
Once again, US C7 2012/2013 A6 or A7 do NOT have adjustable suspension in any trim or package as optionally available in the A4/A5. Check your car menu for the Individual settings and you will not see any menu item for selecting comfort, dynamic or auto suspension. If you think you notice a difference, it's got to be a placebo effect - the hardware simply does not exist and no way that it can change. Also check the Audi U.S. site for the feature list - there's no mention of adjustable suspension for C7 "A" series vehicles. I know. I researched this thoroughly before I got my 2013 A6 Prestige and was bummed that it wasn't included in the US as optional with the ADS package in my B8 2009 A4.

Quick Reply: harsh suspension