A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

heading for service - what MMI to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
I had my first service last week. My tech and service adviser downloaded the info for us all to review from Audi Tech updates directly, There were 8 or 9 changes, all but one for 609 and up, the rest for 522 and below. We decided the one change for 609 and above, only applied to those Audi's without surround systems.
That's interesting. I have the B&O w/surround sound and after updating 0566 to 0715 and as reported by others, it returned the full song info for bluetooth audio apps like Pandora that was lost when IOS 6.x was updated on my iPhone. I also picked up the destination Street View (I already had regular Street View with 0566). I was also told that 0715 provided some other minor MMI fixes.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That's interesting. I have the B&O w/surround sound and after updating 0566 to 0715 and as reported by others, it returned the full song info for bluetooth audio apps like Pandora that was lost when IOS 6.x was updated on my iPhone. I also picked up the destination Street View (I already had regular Street View with 0566). I was also told that 0715 provided some other minor MMI fixes.
I'm running 0566. I have full song info when running Pandora / Bluetooth etc from my iPhone. The issue was resolved following the iOS 7 update, not through an MMI update.

I'm still questioning what the actual Audi documented fixes are for the 0715 MMI update. According to my dealer, my car (with Bose) does not qualify for the update. If this was a full on warranty campaign, there would be a TSB issued at minimum stating the procedure for the dealer to log their reimbursement, and major awareness amongst the service network. Which is not the case. I'm hoping to collect as much Audi documented info as I can prior to contacting AoA. Their first question will be: What problem are you trying to solve? That's a fair question.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
I'm running 0566. I have full song info when running Pandora / Bluetooth etc from my iPhone. The issue was resolved following the iOS 7 update, not through an MMI update.
Not sure that's completely right either. I lost Bluetooth song info with IOS 6 w/MMI 0566 and got it back with MMI 0715. I have never updated to IOS 7 - still on IOS 6. Maybe it is an either/or fix - 0715 or IOS 7 fixes the issue.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
My dealer didn't know about the update, checked into it and has ordered the CD. I have an appointment for the 18th to get it done.
I got it done. I have the basic sound system. Here are the before and after pictures:
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Yes, CD!

Verbatim from the email I got from the dealer: "I found the update that you are referring to however the disks were not shipped to our dealership yet. I have ordered the CD's required to perform the update which should be here some time next week".
Did they charge you for the update?
Did they connect the Audi computer in order to update or just through the CD?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
Did they charge you for the update?
Did they connect the Audi computer in order to update or just through the CD?
The car was first hooked up to the Audi computer for a "Vehicle Health Check".
After that, the MMI update was done by inserting the CD into the in-dash DVD player and using commands on the MMI screen.
There was no charge.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Car back from 25K service today. Here's the additional work performed:

1. 53B6 "required vehicle update": Fuel Tank Drain Valve

2. 48K8 "required vehicle update": SVM (steering) update
- Did some limited highway driving. Not sure I noticed any difference post update. Feels the same...pretty much numb in all settings. The "wander" appears to be gone. Time will tell.

3. MMI - not a "required vehicle update" There are two TSB's that apply here:
a. TSB 2018475 / 2 - Addresses slow boot up. Instructs the technician to configure new adaptation settings.
- will check effectiveness on first start in the morning
b. TSB 20304565 / 6 - The infamous 0715 update. No Audi documented details on what it addresses.
- Bose system definitely has more headroom. Unsure about the increased bass response as I have an add on amp / sub serving up the low end. Svc Mgr told me it took the tech two tries to get the update to stick. This is one reason why there is pushback on updates. Audi will only reimburse the dealer for the time required for a single attempt. Most dealers will pay the tech for the total time it takes for the update.

Please be mindful that I do not have copies of the TSB's noted above, nor did I read them.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

While I do not have any idea what changes the upgraded version introduces, the only thing I have noticed so far is a huge improvement in bass response (basic Audi audio system).
Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still questioning what the actual Audi documented fixes are for the 0715 MMI update. According to my dealer, my car (with Bose) does not qualify for the update. If this was a full on warranty campaign, there would be a TSB issued at minimum stating the procedure for the dealer to log their reimbursement, and major awareness amongst the service network. Which is not the case. I'm hoping to collect as much Audi documented info as I can prior to contacting AoA. Their first question will be: What problem are you trying to solve? That's a fair question.
There is a TSB for 0715. Customer has to report certain problems. Current MMI has to be at a certain version, PRE 0715 update, and they must fit into a certain group.

If all is so and dealer follows outlined procedure and uses set codes Audi will reimburse dealer as warranty.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3. MMI - not a "required vehicle update" There are two TSB's that apply here:
a. TSB 2018475 / 2 - Addresses slow boot up. Instructs the technician to configure new adaptation settings.
- will check effectiveness on first start in the morning
b. TSB 20304565 / 6 - The infamous 0715 update. No Audi documented details on what it addresses.

Please be mindful that I do not have copies of the TSB's noted above, nor did I read them.
TSB does mention that it resolves or addresses a number of things. It really depends on what version you already have installed though.

556 resolves a lot of things. 715 resolves a lot of "other" problems. People that had issues that required HD Radio being turned off can get it turned back on finally. Google Earth problems in 2G areas. Pops, cracking, dropped (silence) sound. These are the major fixes from 556.

Quick Reply: heading for service - what MMI to ask for?