A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel

Does this function need to be programmed into the key?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is part of the cold weather pkg on the A6
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
Does this function need to be programmed into the key?
I'm not sure what you mean. I have a button on the right spoke of the steering wheel to turn it on, no programming needed.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I'm not sure what you mean. I have a button on the right spoke of the steering wheel to turn it on, no programming needed.
When I push the button it shows that it is on but NO heat. The manual says that it is part of the key program but I don't think so.
Looks like a trip to the dealer to see what's up.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
When I push the button it shows that it is on but NO heat. The manual says that it is part of the key program but I don't think so.
Looks like a trip to the dealer to see what's up.
Thanks for your reply.
I have not turned mine on yet, wasn't cold enough. I have just assumed it works when you push the button. I will check it tomorrow and let you know what I find.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I turned on the steering wheel heating by pressing the button. The screen gave the message that the steering wheel heating is on.

After about 2 minutes I noticed the steering wheel warming up, so the heater definitely works. What was interesting that the only part of the wheel that got really warm was at the outer ends of the two horizontal spokes (3 spoke wheel).

I parked the car and turned the engine off without touching the heater button. When I restarted the car, the heater did come back on, I had to turn it off by holding the heater button until I got a steering wheel heating is off message. Why this is interesting is because the seat heaters do not come back on after shutting the car off. This is rather inconsistent, as one would imagine using the seat and steering wheel heaters at the same time, so one would expect the same behaviour pattern.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been interested in reading your response & thank you. It's interesting to note the heat does not turn off (As the seat warmers do) when you turn the car off. Just as interesting to note it just heats on the outside & not the entire wheel. I wonder what the A8's behavior might be? Another question, does it turn off after a period of time similar to a rear window defroster?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carljones11
I've been interested in reading your response & thank you. It's interesting to note the heat does not turn off (As the seat warmers do) when you turn the car off. Just as interesting to note it just heats on the outside & not the entire wheel. I wonder what the A8's behavior might be? Another question, does it turn off after a period of time similar to a rear window defroster?
To clarify, it may be heating the entire wheel, it was not cold enough outside to truly notice that, but at the ends of the spokes it is definitely warmer than other areas. In the true cold weather, we will find out.

I did not have it on long enough to notice if it times out or not.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it does not heat the whole wheel, just the "10 & 2" positions. this is because your supposed to have your hands in those positions at all times :sarcastic:

maybe our german friends can post in but im pretty sure i saw on top gear UK it is highly illegal to not have your hands on the 10&2 position's. This would also make sense because of the thumb holders.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I turned on the steering wheel heating by pressing the button. The screen gave the message that the steering wheel heating is on.

After about 2 minutes I noticed the steering wheel warming up, so the heater definitely works. What was interesting that the only part of the wheel that got really warm was at the outer ends of the two horizontal spokes (3 spoke wheel).

I parked the car and turned the engine off without touching the heater button. When I restarted the car, the heater did come back on, I had to turn it off by holding the heater button until I got a steering wheel heating is off message. Why this is interesting is because the seat heaters do not come back on after shutting the car off. This is rather inconsistent, as one would imagine using the seat and steering wheel heaters at the same time, so one would expect the same behaviour pattern.
Actually, if I am not mistaken, my A7's seat heaters do come back after you restart the car...

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel