A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have to double check that. It is my wife who uses the "bun warmers" even in mild weather, and she told me that it did not come back on. I shall test and report.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the cold weather package, that would mean you have back seat heat as well. I would hope they DO go off (at least the back seats). If someone's been riding in the backseat, uses the heated seats & they remain on, then the driver needs to remember to climb back there & turn them off at some point. OR your driving around for some time with them on.

As for how much of the steering wheel is heated,darn! I had assumed the entire wheel. Again, I wonder what the experience of an A8 owner would reveal.

As for you Mr. Kaufman...it's not cold enough yet for you?? You ARE in Canada right. It's been cold enough in the lower 48 a few times already to use that extra heat!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carljones11
If you have the cold weather package, that would mean you have back seat heat as well. I would hope they DO go off (at least the back seats). If someone's been riding in the backseat, uses the heated seats & they remain on, then the driver needs to remember to climb back there & turn them off at some point. OR your driving around for some time with them on.

As for how much of the steering wheel is heated,darn! I had assumed the entire wheel. Again, I wonder what the experience of an A8 owner would reveal.

As for you Mr. Kaufman...it's not cold enough yet for you?? You ARE in Canada right. It's been cold enough in the lower 48 a few times already to use that extra heat!
Canadian option packages are rather different from the US models. It appears some (or all?) of the cold weather package components are included even in the base models. I never gave any thought of the heated rear seats, I need to check into that.

And yes, up to now we were rather lucky with the weather. We have seen on the news reports of snow, very low temperatures, rain, flooding and all that good stuff south of us, but we have avoided all that so far. I know, our turn is coming, and you guys will be laughing at us when in February temperatures here hit the -25°C (-13°F) mark and have 6'of snow on the ground.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Corrections to my previous statements.

After further, more lengthy investigation, I found that:

a. The steering wheel IS heated all around. When it is just turned on, the ends of the two horizontal spokes get warm fairly soon. The rest of the wheel take much longer to heat up. Once it all comes up to temperature, the heat remains fairly even all around the wheel.

According to the manual, this function gets coded to the individual key, so the driver who shut the car off with the steering wheel heater on would get it heated again when getting back into the car, even if another driver used it (with the other key) without the heater.

b. The seat heaters DO come back on after restarting the car (this is also true for the heated rear seats). My wife is wrong (though I would never point that out to her).

The manual states that after 10 minutes, the seat heater will switch down from level 3 to level 2, no mention of auto shut off after a period of time.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's good news about the steering wheel. Not so much about the rear seats. I'll just have to remember to shut the back seats off after rear seat passenger use. Thanks for the additional investigation!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Corrections to my previous statements.

After further, more lengthy investigation, I found that:

a. The steering wheel IS heated all around. When it is just turned on, the ends of the two horizontal spokes get warm fairly soon. The rest of the wheel take much longer to heat up. Once it all comes up to temperature, the heat remains fairly even all around the wheel.

According to the manual, this function gets coded to the individual key, so the driver who shut the car off with the steering wheel heater on would get it heated again when getting back into the car, even if another driver used it (with the other key) without the heater.

b. The seat heaters DO come back on after restarting the car (this is also true for the heated rear seats). My wife is wrong (though I would never point that out to her).

The manual states that after 10 minutes, the seat heater will switch down from level 3 to level 2, no mention of auto shut off after a period of time.

I appreciate your follow- up on the steering wheel heating issue. My final question is, does the factory or dealer code the keys. When I asked my dealer, he said that he had never heard of the heated steering wheel being tied to the key.
Thanks,
Don
Old 11-05-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
I appreciate your follow- up on the steering wheel heating issue. My final question is, does the factory or dealer code the keys. When I asked my dealer, he said that he had never heard of the heated steering wheel being tied to the key.
Thanks,
Don
The way it seems to work is that when you lock the car (by touching the button in the handle) it stores the info that the steering wheel heater was on or off. Next time the car is opened with the same key, the stored setting takes effect. This is the same as for the seat and mirror settings.

There is no special coding effort needed.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carljones11

On my A8 the steering wheel heat is switch, not MMI controlled. The heat element is thermostatically regulated and at least on very cold days the warmth comes on quickly and borders on hot. After a few more minutes, it is uniformly warm. I often inadvertently leave it on since the only way to know it's on is to press the switch and read the status in the center screen. As far as I can tell, the entire wheel feels equally warm. I've had the heated wheel on 2 A6's and now the A8. My only comment is it would be nice to have a discreet light to let you know if it's on. As far as I know, the A8 rear seat heat inactivates if no one is sitting on it despite the switch position but I may be mistaken.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DRCHA6
On my A8 the steering wheel heat is switch, not MMI controlled. The heat element is thermostatically regulated and at least on very cold days the warmth comes on quickly and borders on hot. After a few more minutes, it is uniformly warm. I often inadvertently leave it on since the only way to know it's on is to press the switch and read the status in the center screen. As far as I can tell, the entire wheel feels equally warm. I've had the heated wheel on 2 A6's and now the A8. My only comment is it would be nice to have a discreet light to let you know if it's on. As far as I know, the A8 rear seat heat inactivates if no one is sitting on it despite the switch position but I may be mistaken.
Thanks for "chiming in". It would seem to me it would make sense for the backseat heat to cut off if no one is back there. I've had rear heated seats on various cars (not Audi) & they all cut off, either by a timer or by switching the car off & once re-started, the rear re-set to off.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DRCHA6
Actually it isn't MMI controlled on the A7 either, it is a pushbutton on the steering wheel spoke.

The only way I can tell if it is turned on or not is by looking at the display on the instrument cluster that shows the different energy consumers, and that shows Heated Steering Wheel" when it is on.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel