A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air filter

Has any one bought or has the K&N air filter Part No. E-1983 for the A7 ?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There have been the same questions asked on other forums. The various aftermarket filters do allow more air flow. The down side is that the filters also allow larger dirt particles to pass through to achieve the higher CFM rating.

If you haven't made any modifications to realize a power increase from the increased flow, stick with the stock filter. Better airflow does not equal more power unless there is a restriction.

Buy the filter and time how long it takes to go 0-60 (or 80 or 100) both before and after. If you don't see any improvement, take it back.

BTW - I have a K&N filter in my DD. I continue to use it because I can clean it out when it gets dirty.

Last edited by tenspeed; 07-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

just curious what your DD is?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fusQer
just curious what your DD is?
I have a Pontiac with a four cylinder Ecotec engine and five speed manual transmission. I bought it almost new when I had a eighty mile daily commute.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the larger particles - the other thing is; especially on high performance engines, wouldn't you think that the engineers from the factory would pretty much allow maximum airflow to get the power? Pretty much the easiest way to increase power, so I have a hard time thinking that they are that restrictive. I've also never seen serious verifiable dyno results to prove they are that much better. A couple of HP now (if that) isn't worth it to me on a 60-80k car that will likely lose that or more due to damage of the dirt getting in there after a while. Prove me wrong, I wouldn't mind!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I have a Pontiac with a four cylinder Ecotec engine and five speed manual transmission. I bought it almost new when I had a eighty mile daily commute.
Too funny. My DD is my A7 and pleasure car is a Pontiac.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The reason I asked the question is I put K&N filters in all my cars I owned and I never had a problem been using K&N for 20yrs now and my last car before the A7 was a 09 Nissan GT-R. Over the years I've noticed that on natural aspirated engines you don't notice the power increase but with turbo I've dynoed about 5 to 10 HP more. This is my first supercharged engine so this is why I asked the question. I also like the fact that I can clean the filter.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCaMotto
The reason I asked the question is I put K&N filters in all my cars I owned and I never had a problem been using K&N for 20yrs now and my last car before the A7 was a 09 Nissan GT-R. Over the years I've noticed that on natural aspirated engines you don't notice the power increase but with turbo I've dynoed about 5 to 10 HP more. This is my first supercharged engine so this is why I asked the question. I also like the fact that I can clean the filter.
Interesting I was looking at a GTR before my Audi purchase, I still look at them as an option, sorry for the change of subject but why did you decide on the A7 over the GTR? I know they are completely different but don't you miss the performance?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
Interesting I was looking at a GTR before my Audi purchase, I still look at them as an option, sorry for the change of subject but why did you decide on the A7 over the GTR? I know they are completely different but don't you miss the performance?
Before I answer your question is to tell you the cars I had before the GT-R. I was a BMW fan I've owned a 91 M5, 03 M5, 06 M5 and 03 M3 wich saw light duty as a track car. When the GT-R came out every body wanted one and I was one of them the performance was insane from a car so heavy. I installed a full HKS exhaust system and had AMS Dyno tune the car put down 540 all-whp. It was a monster I ran the 1/4 in 11.1 @ 128.9 on a average track. Now the what I did not like the a avrage interior the noises it was making from the trans I was always afraid it would break down. Then it got hot very fast so it suffered from heat soak a lot. Keep in mind this was back in 09 when the car was new to the market. I still miss the power this is why I still look from time to time for a good deal on a 2013-14 model they improved the suspension so it's not so rough. The trany still make some noises but not as bad as the fist ones and now it has proven its self as a reliable ride. Ps on a side note my favorite car out of my previous 20 cars I have owned and best handelling car has to be my M3 had the best feed back and best balance. (It was hevely modified).
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCaMotto
Before I answer your question is to tell you the cars I had before the GT-R. I was a BMW fan I've owned a 91 M5, 03 M5, 06 M5 and 03 M3 wich saw light duty as a track car. When the GT-R came out every body wanted one and I was one of them the performance was insane from a car so heavy. I installed a full HKS exhaust system and had AMS Dyno tune the car put down 540 all-whp. It was a monster I ran the 1/4 in 11.1 @ 128.9 on a average track. Now the what I did not like the a avrage interior the noises it was making from the trans I was always afraid it would break down. Then it got hot very fast so it suffered from heat soak a lot. Keep in mind this was back in 09 when the car was new to the market. I still miss the power this is why I still look from time to time for a good deal on a 2013-14 model they improved the suspension so it's not so rough. The trany still make some noises but not as bad as the fist ones and now it has proven its self as a reliable ride. Ps on a side note my favorite car out of my previous 20 cars I have owned and best handelling car has to be my M3 had the best feed back and best balance. (It was hevely modified).
Interesting, the first GTRs could have been launched at very high rpms and the warranty could have been voided too, now the warranty is over of course, I believe they limited the rpms starting 2010 to prevent that, the m3 that you loved was an E46, have you considered the 1m? I have heard is the closest to an old M3 or even better, I actually like the orange color it is offered.
My Tuned A7 is perfect for me, just like you, not as fast as my old sl55 but WAY more practical.
S7 is not enough for me to make the change, RS7 or S8 is a different story (or an A8L with 4.0t)

Last edited by feralc; 07-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.