A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Kris Hansen's A7 Article Pg. 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kris Hansen's A7 Article Pg. 1

This is an exciting article for those of us awaiting arrivals soon.

I had no idea for example there is electronic torque vectoring.

I knew about first reflection problem in rear window with light interiors just from youtubes,
and thus ordered black. But this is first time I've heard mention 2nd reflection problem
of instrument cluster high up on front windshield at night.

Can we get comments/pictures from present owners please.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought that all the shelf areas under the rear window were the same light color, regardless of what interior color you chose. Am I wrong about that? I had heard the light color was used deliberately to reflect heat from the large area under the rear glass. I definitely notice the reflection, but I'm getting used to it.

I don't notice any reflection from the instrument cluster on the front windshield at night, but I'll look for that tonight.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, they're not all light colored.

I've only seen them in black but then again I think I've only seen black or nougat interiors on all the A7's at my dealership.

I'm guessing only the beige (and maybe titanium gray) interiors have the lighter color.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
No, they're not all light colored.

I've only seen them in black but then again I think I've only seen black or nougat interiors on all the A7's at my dealership.

I'm guessing only the beige (and maybe titanium gray) interiors have the lighter color.
Actually this is a mystery. I have spoken with three dealerships (2 in Michigan, 1 Carlsbad, CA) and no one has an answer. I have seen silver with black hat and creme hat...same with Quartz, Oolang, Havana, White, and Black...I have seen all of these models with both colors.

I complained to one dealer after a test drive that the creme hat reflected poorly while driving (looks like a huge glare/reflection) and is very distracting. One dealer confirmed that Audi has also heard these complaints and began replacing the creme hats with black hats.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Last edited by roho3323; 07-19-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roho3323
Actually this is a mystery. I have spoken with three dealerships (2 in Michigan, 1 Carlsbad, CA) and no one has an answer. I have seen silver with black hat and creme hat...same with Quartz, Oolang, Havana, White, and Black...I have seen all of these models with both colors.

I complained to one dealer after a test drive that the creme hat reflected poorly while driving (looks like a huge glare/reflection) and is very distracting. One dealer confirmed that Audi has also heard these complaints and began replacing the creme hats with black hats.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

I got the creme hat (beige interior obviously) and it sure was annoying at first. I took it off for a week and decided to put it back because my trunk felt naked without the hat. Now I am used to having that reflection while driving.

Perhaps Audi will start offering free hats to those who request? I highly doubt it, though.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
I got the creme hat (beige interior obviously) and it sure was annoying at first. I took it off for a week and decided to put it back because my trunk felt naked without the hat. Now I am used to having that reflection while driving.

Perhaps Audi will start offering free hats to those who request? I highly doubt it, though.
Carlsbad CA Audi has 4 White A7's. 2 with creme hats and 2 with the black hat. The 20"sport with black interior (silver headliner) has a black hat and the 19" non-sport with black interior (silver headliner) has a creme hat.

The hat is not directly tied to the interior color and since you have the sport pkg. with a creme hat, it isn't tied to that package either. I simply don't understand as it seems rather random. I told my dealer that my car MUST come with the black hat one way or another or I won't take delivery of the car. Kind of bluffing, by I have my "out" if things don't go the way I am hoping.

I am glad to hear that you have gotten used to the reflection. Do you have your windows tinted? I was thinking that maybe the glare would be reduced if tinted.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is actually a no charge option for a black headliner when you order your A7. Only available with the FB (Black) or VB (Nougat Brown) interior colors. I would imagine that the hat shelf would then automatically be in black. I drove the Havana Black with Nougat interior demo vehicle and noticed the glare and it was unacceptable. The standard should change to the black and the light either dropped or an option with an asterisk***.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roho3323
Carlsbad CA Audi has 4 White A7's. 2 with creme hats and 2 with the black hat. The 20"sport with black interior (silver headliner) has a black hat and the 19" non-sport with black interior (silver headliner) has a creme hat.

The hat is not directly tied to the interior color and since you have the sport pkg. with a creme hat, it isn't tied to that package either. I simply don't understand as it seems rather random. I told my dealer that my car MUST come with the black hat one way or another or I won't take delivery of the car. Kind of bluffing, by I have my "out" if things don't go the way I am hoping.

I am glad to hear that you have gotten used to the reflection. Do you have your windows tinted? I was thinking that maybe the glare would be reduced if tinted.
I don't have the sport package, only the 20" sport wheels.

For those that have Ipads, there is an A7 app where you can customize the car. I did the customization with the white exterior and beige interior, the shelf appeared to be dark on the car - strange.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
I don't have the sport package, only the 20" sport wheels.

For those that have Ipads, there is an A7 app where you can customize the car. I did the customization with the white exterior and beige interior, the shelf appeared to be dark on the car - strange.
Ah...that explains it! Black hat comes with sport package...makes sense to me since every black hat car had either 19 or 20" sport packages.

Is their anyone on the board that has the black hat WITHOUT the sport package?

p.s. Hat has nothing to do with headliner (though it would make sense if it did).
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can say with 100% certainty that it's not tied to the sport package.

My wife and I spent much time in an oolong/black and ibis/nougat neither of which had sport package but both had the black rear shelf.

What I can't recall is whether they had the black headliner.

Quick Reply: Kris Hansen's A7 Article Pg. 1