AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, when you do it, I'll do it!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by carljones11
Frank, when you do it, I'll do it!
I'm picking up the stalk in Europe next month.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sensor in steering wheel?

cbb09: I thought of another component of the Lane Assist feature that hasn't been discussed. In cars built with Lane Assist (and in the A7 when Lane Assist is available), it will stop working if your hands are removed from the steering wheel. Do our steering wheels have the ability to sense whether or not our hands are in contact with the wheel?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow this is great news.
Can't wait till this thread gets updated with details.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
This is an interesting thread only because I'm trying to figure out why Audi would equip a car with all of the lane assist parts (including the ability to vibrate the steering wheel) if lane assist wasn't ordered.
My guess is the reason Audi doesn't offer lane assist activated in the U.S. is our poor lane markings in many parts of the country, especially compared to most of Europe. In the northeast, for example, painted lane markings are usually horrible and rarely maintained. Lane assist would have a tough time working properly. It could also be a potential liability decision by Audi as a result.

As for having the lane assist components already installed, in this case it's probably less expensive to have a single designed system installed for all ACC/Side Assist cars vs. different versions so software settings are the only variable (and a stalk in this case, a relatively inexpensive piece of hardware to version by locale).
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My guess is the reason Audi doesn't offer lane assist activated in the U.S. is our poor lane markings in many parts of the country, especially compared to most of Europe. In the northeast, for example, painted lane markings are usually horrible and rarely maintained. Lane assist would have a tough time working properly. It could also be a potential liability decision by Audi as a result.

As for having the lane assist components already installed, in this case it's probably less expensive to have a single designed system installed for all ACC/Side Assist cars vs. different versions so software settings are the only variable (and a stalk in this case, a relatively inexpensive piece of hardware to version by locale).
It's actually offered as part of the A6 in the US. I was actually a little surprised to see it wasn't in the A7 innovation package when I switched from getting an A6 to an A7.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pcgeek
It's actually offered as part of the A6 in the US. I was actually a little surprised to see it wasn't in the A7 innovation package when I switched from getting an A6 to an A7.
A6 is just like A7. Components for Lane Assist is there but the software is not enabled and the stalk needs to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you sure you're not confusing Lane Assist with Side Assist? Both the A6 and A7 offer Side Assist as part of the Innovation and Driver Assist pkgs as well as a standalone option but not Lane Assist in either U.S. car for 2012 or 2013 that I have read. (Side Assist is the radar warning a car is in your blind spot via indicator lights in the side mirrors. Lane Assist is a steering wheel vibration warning if you drift out of your lane).
Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Are you sure you're not confusing Lane Assist with Side Assist? Both the A6 and A7 offer Side Assist as part of the Innovation and Driver Assist pkgs as well as a standalone option but not Lane Assist in either U.S. car for 2012 or 2013 that I have read. (Side Assist is the radar warning a car is in your blind spot via indicator lights in the side mirrors. Lane Assist is a steering wheel vibration warning if you drift out of your lane).
Hmm, I would have sworn it was there but going back now to look at the options I don't see it. Most of the magazine articles talk about it so that must be where I remembered it from (even though they are US magazines it's possible they weren't driving a US-spec car ).
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm, I would have sworn it was there but going back now to look at the options I don't see it. Most of the magazine articles talk about it so that must be where I remembered it from (even though they are US magazines it's possible they weren't driving a US-spec car ).
Yeah, they drove Euro A6's during a rollout press event in Europe and kept on reporting several features and options we wouldn't see in the US. Then, others just kept repeating the same info, over and over. Lazy.

Quick Reply: Lane assist retrofit