A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Lane assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I could be wrong but if there was a way to add the feature, someone would have done it by now. I think this is one of those wishin' and hopin' things.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I could be wrong but if there was a way to add the feature, someone would have done it by now. I think this is one of those wishin' and hopin' things.
Actually the OP was correct that it can be done. Unlike the A4,A5 and Q5 models that utilize a dedicated camera in the windscreen for Active Lane Assist only, the A6, and A7 utilize a camera that is part of module 8E image processing. This camera is used for for more than one purpose. If you already have this camera on the car along with dynamic steering then all you need is the stalk to activate it. It's the coding part of module 8E that people were eager to hear a response from.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Actually the OP was correct that it can be done. Unlike the A4,A5 and Q5 models that utilize a dedicated camera in the windscreen for Active Lane Assist only, the A6, and A7 utilize a camera that is part of module 8E image processing. This camera is used for for more than one purpose. If you already have this camera on the car along with dynamic steering then all you need is the stalk to activate it. It's the coding part of module 8E that people were eager to hear a response from.
So how hard is it to add Speed Limit Display on a A7/S7/RS7 that already has Active Lane Assist in USA? Its an option in Europe.

Is it simply done by activating in thru VCDS or is there a module that the US cars missing?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

True, but the OP installed the hardware and still couldn't get it to work. Apparently, he gave up since he's not been back to this thread for 3 years and no one in any of the related forums has reported success in accomplishing the upgrade.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by chucky0731
So how hard is it to add Speed Limit Display on a A7/S7/RS7 that already has Active Lane Assist in USA? Its an option in Europe.

Is it simply done by activating in thru VCDS or is there a module that the US cars missing?
The software that is built into module 8E image processing was never developed to recognize US road signs. It wouldn't be able to distinguish between a sign that said 65mph and one that said "Arby's". This is why the system will say "out of area" if you activate it. If you happened to take your A7 on over to Europe and activate the feature with VCDS then it would work.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 05-07-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by snagitseven
True, but the OP installed the hardware and still couldn't get it to work. Apparently, he gave up since he's not been back to this thread for 3 years and no one in any of the related forums has reported success in accomplishing the upgrade.

All of the control modules are there.

J851, J852 etc. Its just a matter of coding and retrofitting the stalk. Think of it this way. When you go buy a new car and you look at its options, each option has a price tag on it. Part of that price goes to cover the cost of materials as well as the markup on it for Audi to make a profit. Now imagine having a set amount of parts needed for a specific option but those parts can be utilized for more than one function. Audi can charge for each feature without incurring additional cost to themselves for additional parts. You're paying for additional software is all. This is why Audi would want to lockdown that software in module 8E. Something that I didn't see anyone in this thread mention was activating lane assist in module 44 - Steering Assist. If someone wants to be the guinea pig and come on over I would be happy to take a look...
Old 05-07-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

All of the control modules are there.

J851, J852 etc. Its just a matter of coding and retrofitting the stalk. Think of it this way. When you go buy a new car and you look at its options, each option has a price tag on it. Part of that price goes to cover the cost of materials as well as the markup on it for Audi to make a profit. Now imagine having a set amount of parts needed for a specific option but those parts can be utilized for more than one function. Audi can charge for each feature without incurring additional cost to themselves for additional parts. You're paying for additional software is all. This is why Audi would want to lockdown that software in module 8E. Something that I didn't see anyone in this thread mention was activating lane assist in module 44 - Steering Assist. If someone wants to be the guinea pig and come on over I would be happy to take a look...

You are absolutely right, "It's just a matter of coding... ". Up to now a number of people installed the appropriate stalk, had all the required modules but to date no one managed to figure out the required coding. And until that is done, the option is not functional, therefore it is not "done".
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by fkaufman
You are absolutely right, "It's just a matter of coding... ". Up to now a number of people installed the appropriate stalk, had all the required modules but to date no one managed to figure out the required coding. And until that is done, the option is not functional, therefore it is not "done".
If anyone ever find themselves near the California Central Coast just PM me and I'd be happy to take a look.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Europe and have all necessary HW and have retrofitted the stalk. I let a garage with thorough AUDI retrofit expertise try to activate both ALA and Traffic Sign Recognition without success. Next step is to see if an upgrade of the SW in the Instrument Cluster and the Video Module will get it to work.
Still no one seems to have succeeded with these activation.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by steaman
I live in Europe and have all necessary HW and have retrofitted the stalk. I let a garage with thorough AUDI retrofit expertise try to activate both ALA and Traffic Sign Recognition without success. Next step is to see if an upgrade of the SW in the Instrument Cluster and the Video Module will get it to work.
Still no one seems to have succeeded with these activation.
Interesting. VCDS can give a readout of the software version each module has. Perhaps comparing software versions with an A7 that has it active would be the next step...

Quick Reply: Lane assist retrofit