A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Mixing Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mixing Brake Pads

So, I just had my A7 in for the routine 35k service and dealer said the rears are about to hit the wear sensor, however the fronts probably have another 20k miles on them. I'd like to go with Akebono Ceramics next, but there's no point in replacing the fronts if they have that much left.

Obviously, they are recommending replacing the rotors with the pad change so I'm somewhat unsure of what to do. If people have successfully just changed the pads and not rotors at this mileage, I would just turn the rotors and replace all 4 pads at an Indy shop with the Akebono.

If the rotors really do need to be replaced, depending on the wear, would there be any issue leaving the factory pads on front and replacing the rears with new rotors and the Akebono Ceramics?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacier6
Obviously, they are recommending replacing the rotors with the pad change so I'm somewhat unsure of what to do. If people have successfully just changed the pads and not rotors at this mileage, I would just turn the rotors and replace all 4 pads at an Indy shop with the Akebono.
Not all rotors wear the same so there is no simple answer based on miles driven. Rotors need replacing when they wear down to a minimum thickness. You may want to replace the rotors if they are getting close to eliminate a second trip to the shop.

If the rotors really do need to be replaced, depending on the wear, would there be any issue leaving the factory pads on front and replacing the rears with new rotors and the Akebono Ceramics?
I do not believe that there would be any issue with OEM fronts and new rear hardware. If one end has a tendency to lock up sooner, the ABS system will take over.

Sounds like you use the ACC.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks tenspeed. Assuming a reputable Indy shop would be able to measure and advise how much is left.

For the ACC, yes I do use it a bit on longer road trips, and I've read that it utilizes the rears when braking.