A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Mute on MMI - normal behaviour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mute on MMI - normal behaviour?

Hi all - wonder if someone can check if when muting media or radio (either from the wheel or centre console controls) that the volume returns to a preset level (12) and not the volume which was set before muting?

I have a replacement entertainment ECU and can't remember this happening before but could be wrong. Also cannot see anywhere in settings where this preset volume for media would be adjusted (plenty of other settings though for navigation speech etc).

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by double0
Hi all - wonder if someone can check if when muting media or radio (either from the wheel or centre console controls) that the volume returns to a preset level (12) and not the volume which was set before muting?

I have a replacement entertainment ECU and can't remember this happening before but could be wrong. Also cannot see anywhere in settings where this preset volume for media would be adjusted (plenty of other settings though for navigation speech etc).

Thanks.
Yes, the way the mute is implemented is most annoying. Even if you turn the volume **** down to 0 (when the crossed speaker symbol appears, like if you pressed the **** to mute), after restarting the car or changing to a different MMI function, it returns to volume 2 which is not loud enough to listen but too loud to ignore.

They could easily change this in a firmware upgrade, it just takes many of us to complain about it.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if you have exactly the same issue I have. If listening at volume 18 and I press mute then unmute, the volume returns to volume 12 not 18?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, on mine it returns to the same volume it was at before the muting.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If the volume is below 12 and you mute and un-mute, the volume will return to what you had. If the volume is above 12 and you mute and un-mute, it will return to 12.

Try it, it's kinda strange.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
If the volume is below 12 and you mute and un-mute, the volume will return to what you had. If the volume is above 12 and you mute and un-mute, it will return to 12.

Try it, it's kinda strange.
Thanks - yeah exactly what I get i.e. returns to the previous volume if at 12 or less - if above 12 returns to max volume of 12. Weird and wonder what is so special about the number 12 :-)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by double0
Thanks - yeah exactly what I get i.e. returns to the previous volume if at 12 or less - if above 12 returns to max volume of 12. Weird and wonder what is so special about the number 12 :-)
On top of that, if you mute when it is set to 0 or 1, it returns to volume 2.

In summary:

0 and 1 returns to 2
2 to 12 returns to whatever level it was before muting
13 and above returns to 12

I can't find the logic in this.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

At least it is consistent across cars but like you can see no logic in making it this complex - why not just a simple return to the volume selected prior to mute. Anyway at least my unit is not faulty which was the main reason for checking - thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What I find most annoying is that you can't get in the car and start the engine without the radio being on. It starts at volume 2 and have to turn it down manually every time.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
What I find most annoying is that you can't get in the car and start the engine without the radio being on. It starts at volume 2 and have to turn it down manually every time.
Put a blank SD card into one of the slots. Then select media and the SD card. It will try to play, but find no files, and then do nothing (and be quiet). Or if you have nothing stored in your jukebox, select your jukebox. Select an "empty" music source whenever you want it to remain quiet.

I wish it would remember "mute" or default to mute, or have that be an option. But this is a sort of work around.

Quick Reply: Mute on MMI - normal behaviour?