A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Mute on MMI - normal behaviour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree that would be (a somewhat awkward) workaround.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vag fix

there must be a VAG fix for this.. I am die hard audi but to me mute means mute..it should stay mute if you muted it. the rest of the adjustements make some sense if its loud it will return at a lesser volume etc but mute should stay muted. I hate it when I am on the phone and get it and start the car and before the Blue tooth kicks in the radio is on and I have to mute it. And whats worse is if you anticipate that and mute too early then it unmutes and you have to remute it..
who knows the vag codes for this ?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bootnet
there must be a VAG fix for this.. I am die hard audi but to me mute means mute..it should stay mute if you muted it. the rest of the adjustements make some sense if its loud it will return at a lesser volume etc but mute should stay muted. I hate it when I am on the phone and get it and start the car and before the Blue tooth kicks in the radio is on and I have to mute it. And whats worse is if you anticipate that and mute too early then it unmutes and you have to remute it..
who knows the vag codes for this ?
You are 100% correct, my issues are exactly what you are describing. I would love to find the VAG codes to fix this.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do we know if Audi monitors these forums? It WOULD seem that this would be a relatively easy AND needed fix. I can't understand the logic of NOT being able to mute or even turn off the radio while keeping the Nav functioning.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

An interesting point. My son lives in Geneva, Switzerland. He has ordered an A5 a few month ago and we have been discussing my experiences with the A7. While waiting for the car, he got a Mercedes to use (I don't know the model) and after my complaints about the MMI in the A7, he told me that the Mercedes system behaved the same way.

My feeling is that both Audi and Mercedes are buying the MMI system from a third party and it is their design that needs to be changed. That may be more difficult than modifying something Audi has internal control of.

Just my assumption, I have no info or data to support this.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

My problem is that the system mutes itself 30 secs after you drive off if you're listening to a SD card or USB stick. It goes dead for 10 secs or so then comes back on and all is fine until the next time you start the car.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuckyarla
My problem is that the system mutes itself 30 secs after you drive off if you're listening to a SD card or USB stick. It goes dead for 10 secs or so then comes back on and all is fine until the next time you start the car.
Do you have a Bluetooth connected mobile phone with a fairly large number of contacts? If so, the MMI goes through an initialization process when you start the car, during which it downloads the contacts from the phone. There is an icon showing that in the right bottom corner of the screen. While this download takes place, the system is muted. But it plays for a little while, until the initialization routine gets to the contacts download part.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Do you have a Bluetooth connected mobile phone with a fairly large number of contacts? If so, the MMI goes through an initialization process when you start the car, during which it downloads the contacts from the phone. There is an icon showing that in the right bottom corner of the screen. While this download takes place, the system is muted. But it plays for a little while, until the initialization routine gets to the contacts download part.

Thanks, I thought about that possibility and tested it by leaving the phone at home - but it still happened. Looks like it's back to the drawing board!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuckyarla
Thanks, I thought about that possibility and tested it by leaving the phone at home - but it still happened. Looks like it's back to the drawing board!
I did not test it without the phone. It is possible that one of the other routines mutes the system while initializing.

During the moments (seconds, minutes?) immediately after strting the car, a lot of systems need initialization. If the process results in crackles and pops coming from the speakers (a real possibility) it is a prudent design to mute the system while that is happening.

So while I don't have the exact answer, I would suggest that a short period of mute during the initialization phase may be a blessing in disguise. And yes, if it started up in mute mode and only came up when all modules have gone through initialization, it would be a better (more considerate?) design.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I did not test it without the phone. It is possible that one of the other routines mutes the system while initializing.

During the moments (seconds, minutes?) immediately after strting the car, a lot of systems need initialization. If the process results in crackles and pops coming from the speakers (a real possibility) it is a prudent design to mute the system while that is happening.

So while I don't have the exact answer, I would suggest that a short period of mute during the initialization phase may be a blessing in disguise. And yes, if it started up in mute mode and only came up when all modules have gone through initialization, it would be a better (more considerate?) design.
The thing is it only happens if you start the car having previously been listening to a SD card or USB. If you had turned off while listening to the radio there will be no muting when you start up again.

Quick Reply: Mute on MMI - normal behaviour?