A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Noise on 20" Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise on 20" Sport Package

I think previous thread about noise was too inconsistent as it was hard to assess who owns what kind of tires/suspension.

Car and Driver's comparison of Merc. CLS550 and Audi A7 stated 70db sound level I believe for both cars and they were also using 20" Sport Package, so I'm not sure why people are complaining about noise.

So, please post your impression about sound levels with the following info:
* This is for 20" Sport Package only, don't post for other 19" wheel option.
* What kind of tires did you get?
* If sound is too loud, what kind of pavement were you driving on?
* What is your definition of "too loud" ?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 20' with Yoko Advan Sport with 3500 miles on them, and when driving in Michigan on blacktop the car is relatively quiet. The moment we drive anywhere on concrete the noise level increases dramaticly, to the point where you have to raise your conversation level to almost shouting.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ambarsaria
I think previous thread about noise was too inconsistent as it was hard to assess who owns what kind of tires/suspension.

Car and Driver's comparison of Merc. CLS550 and Audi A7 stated 70db sound level I believe for both cars and they were also using 20" Sport Package, so I'm not sure why people are complaining about noise.

So, please post your impression about sound levels with the following info:
* This is for 20" Sport Package only, don't post for other 19" wheel option.
* What kind of tires did you get?
* If sound is too loud, what kind of pavement were you driving on?
* What is your definition of "too loud" ?
If you are going to start another road noise thread,can you answer your own questions first as this will help to provide a basis for the discussion and hopefully some meaningful discussion. So what tyres are you on, what type of roads do you drive on on an average drive and what is your definition of loud?

As for me, I am struggling to understand some of the noise issues here. I am running on Pirelli PZeros,20" 5 segment alloys. I mainly travel on black tarmac roads but sometimes on concrete highways where noise levels do go up slightly (but you will get this with any car on a concrete road)

Too noisy for me would be when I have to raise my voice significantly which just never happens in my car. 99.9% of the time I (like I guess most other drivers) will have the stereo on and this does cut out some of the road (and I should say wind )noise.

Where is the noise coming from?, potentially the rear hatch area and the door seals (given that the windows are frameless and are mostly sealed on one side only. There has been debate as to whether the Yokohama tyres are providing more noise than other brands but this has yet to be properly compared (although we did try last weekend at a mini meet in the UK)

At the end of the day I am happy with my car, if the noise levels were excessive then trust me I would be down my dealer just as quick as anyone else.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got Yokohama 20 inch Sport Suspension and certainly no problem for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same here - Yokohama 20" Summer Performance tires. Perfectly acceptable on asphalt roads, noice goes up a bit on concrete roads. Same as every car. Most of the modern concrete roads have a bit of a "broom-swept" finish on them to help water run off. Great for that, horrible for tire noise. Of course for comparison you could go out in my Z06 and hear what real tire noise is!!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Or upgrading your exhaust system to cut down the road noise.