A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Oil service

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil service

My car has a warning that I need to perform an oil change in X days, the last time I changed the oil was 3000 miles but almost a year ago, I checked the manual and it seems Audi recommends an oil change every year.
What do you think about this? The oil is synthetic, it doesn't really degrade like regular oil, do you really think it is necessary to do this time related?
My other German cars took longer than 1 year to request an oil service (like a combination between usage and time not merely a calendar year), I know people like to perform oil services quite often and it is the best for the car, but I believe it is a waste then to use synthetic oil if you are changing it because of time and not because of usage, you could actually drive the car to the shop don't use the car at all and have a warning for oil service in one year.

And also I believe you must perform the oil service at an Audi dealer to keep the warranty, am I right about this? I do not like to go to the dealer for just an oil change because of my mods, the dealer is aware of my mods and he knows not to hook my computer to the Audi's but you never know what could happen (a new mechanic, the advisor doesn't tell him not to do so, blah blah blah, I end with a TD1 code because of an oil change) that I'd rather not go to the dealer unless I have several things or major things to repair.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by feralc; 07-31-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi recomended oil change is 10,000 miles.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I've read that even synthetic oil additives lose some properties over time. I never go longer then a year or 10K miles whichever comes first. It's a relatively inexpensive preventative maintenance so I believe it makes sense to make the modest investment at least once per year if I don't hit 10K miles.

It's not required to have the dealer change the oil or any other scheduled maintenance to maintain the warranty. You just need to keep your invoices in case you need to show the service was performed. If you're a DIYselfer, receipts for the oil, filter, etc. along with a DIY maintenance log should also suffice.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've read that even synthetic oil additives lose some properties over time. I never go longer then a year or 10K miles whichever comes first. It's a relatively inexpensive preventative maintenance so I believe it makes sense to make the modest investment at least once per year if I don't hit 10K miles.

It's not required to have the dealer change the oil or any other scheduled maintenance to maintain the warranty. You just need to keep your invoices in case you need to show the service was performed. If you're a DIYselfer, receipts for the oil, filter, etc. along with a DIY maintenance log should also suffice.
Are you sure about that? That is good news, I do not know where I got that idea, maybe when you lease the car you are forced to do it at the dealer? Or at least that is what the dealer says? My car is not leased though.

So thinking about it, people that get the Audi care have to pay out of pocket for in between oil changes if they do not use the car often, because Audi care covers only every 10k miles until 45k miles.

My Porsche Cayenne requires a service every 2 years or 20k miles and it uses synthetic oil too, although it burns oil like there is no tomorrow and in between services I counted 7 times I had to top off and put 1.5 quarters of oil every time, so it was constantly renewed. weird thing newer models require oil changes every year or 10k miles, why the older cayenne is every two years I have no idea (maybe because they know the oil is constantly partially renewed)

Last edited by feralc; 07-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
My car has a warning that I need to perform an oil change in X days, the last time I changed the oil was 3000 miles but almost a year ago, I checked the manual and it seems Audi recommends an oil change every year.
No concerns about the oil's endurance over 12 months and low miles. Should go much longer if you are using a compliant oil. The concern would be the vehicle's warranty and the requirement to change the oil at least every 12 months regardless of miles. Most mfrs have this requirement.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Feralc, No manf. new car warranty I've ever owned required maintenance be performed by the dealer. Perhaps Ferrari or other exotic brand would be an exception - I don't know (EDIT: the R8 is an exception and must be serviced only at an Audi authorized service center). Purchasing or leasing, doesn't matter - the leasing company agreements only say the car must be maintained. Read the actual Audi warranty - I don't believe it mentions anything about where the scheduled service must be done, just that the car be maintained to keep the warranty in force.

As to the oil, apparently Porsche decided that 20K/2years was too long and changed their service schedule to 10K/1 year in later model years. Also, though Audi doesn't say in the service schedule guide, 10K or 1 year, whichever comes first, your service indicator light came on a year later which would appear that the on-board computer keeps track of time as well as miles since the last time the service light was reset.

Finally, to confuse things a bit, there's the Audi Care details. I just bought it and my AC Agreement states that the 15/25/35/45K services must be performed within plus/minus 1000 miles of each 10K mile service or 5 years total. That works out to 10K mi each or an average of every 15 months, whichever come first (a bit more than a year). When I purchased AC for my A4 in 2009, the agreement stated 4 years max to use it so Audi is now giving an extra year to perform the four included services. Still based on time as well as miles though.

At the end of the day, from my point of view, why not spend $100 at least once a year to change the oil in a $70K+ car? It's the lifeblood of the engine and it certainly can't hurt in any case. Grandmother survey: My wife's 48K mi 2002 allroad gets driven these days about 3-4K miles a year and I never let a year go by without changing the oil. After 12 years it still looks and runs like new. I even had the timing belt/water pump/tensioners done at 40K mi/9 years just to be on the safe side - the belt was looking brittle due to age. I'm of the "preventative maintenance" school of car care.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you talk to people in the oil business they will tell you that oil will breakdown over time. That why they say 10k or 1year. As the old Fram commercial said "Pay me now or Pay me later" is still true today
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Banned

Feralc, No manf. new car warranty I've ever owned required maintenance be performed by the dealer. Perhaps Ferrari or other exotic brand would be an exception - I don't know. Purchasing or leasing, doesn't matter - the leasing company agreements only say the car must be maintained. Read the actual Audi warranty - I don't believe it mentions anything about where the scheduled service must be done, just that the car be maintained to keep the warranty in force.

As to the oil, apparently Porsche decided that 20K/2years was too long and changed their service schedule to 10K/1 year in later model years. Also, though Audi doesn't say in the service schedule guide, 10K or 1 year, whichever comes first, your service indicator light came on a year later which would appear that the on-board computer keeps track of time as well as miles since the last time the service light was reset.

Finally, to confuse things a bit, there's the Audi Care details. I just bought it and my AC Agreement states that the 15/25/35/45K services must be performed within plus/minus 1000 miles of each 10K mile service or 5 years total. That works out to 10K mi each or an average of every 15 months, whichever come first (a bit more than a year). When I purchased AC for my A4 in 2009, the agreement stated 4 years max to use it so Audi is now giving an extra year to perform the four included services. Still based on time as well as miles though.

At the end of the day, from my point of view, why not spend $100 at least once a year to change the oil in a $70K+ car? It's the lifeblood of the engine and it certainly can't hurt in any case. Grandmother survey: My wife's 48K mi 2002 allroad gets driven these days about 3-4K miles a year and I never let a year go by without changing the oil. After 12 years it still looks and runs like new. I even had the timing belt/water pump/tensioners done at 40K mi/9 years just to be on the safe side - the belt was looking brittle due to age. I'm of the "preventative maintenance" school of car care.
I do not really care about the 100 dollars but going into the dealer because ofmy mods, but you already told me I was wrong about that, I do not know where I got that idea (maybe in Mexico is mandatory to take it to the dealer)
Even if Audi is giving an extra year to perform the included services, lets say you have a car and you just use 3k miles a year (my case), not including the free 5k service, You will be hitting 15k miles at the end of the 5 years and Audi care will be covering just one of them (at 14k because of the minus 1k) and in the meantime you had to pay out of pocket for a couple of oil services, and to complicate things more you would pay an oil service before the free 5k oil service (because it will take a year and a half to reach 5k)
I really think there is a lot of R8 owners that have the cars only for weekend fun, that are in the same situation.
My Cayenne has 111k miles and running perfectly with oil changes when the computer asks for it (every 2 years) and constantly topping off the burnt oil (Porsche said a liter of oil every 600 miles is "normal")
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like Audi Care is not a viable option for you. Also, looks like your warranty will run out in 4 years waaay short of hit 48K miles.

Check your Warranty Guide that came with the car. In the U.S. version, Audi makes it pretty clear that service can be done by anyone including DIYselfers and recommend the use of the maintenance log that comes with the manuals. In Mexico it could be different but it should state that. Audi also points out in a least four places, that you can use whatever brand parts you wish but they will not replace or repair any non-OEM part installed or caused by that part.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Sounds like Audi Care is not a viable option for you. Also, looks like your warranty will run out in 4 years waaay short of hit 48K miles.

Check your Warranty Guide that came with the car. In the U.S. version, Audi makes it pretty clear that service can be done by anyone including DIYselfers and recommend the use of the maintenance log that comes with the manuals. In Mexico it could be different but it should state that. Audi also points out in a least four places, that you can use whatever brand parts you wish but they will not replace or repair any non-OEM part installed or caused by that part.
Do you think this is worldwide or just in the US because of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act?
I called an Audi dealer in Mexico and the 15k 30k and 60k services are free (in kilometers) no need to buy Audi Care, and the warranty is 3 years.

Quick Reply: Oil service