A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ok, call me nuts! 18" wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Agreed that a narrower tire is less likely to "float" over the top of snow. However, the contact patch is essentially the same overall size (discounting differences in tire construction) on any given car, regardless or the wheel/tire combo. The reason for this is that a tire is, for want of a better description, a well-constructed balloon. Contact patch size is determined by inflation pressure and vehicle weight - psi/p(lbs) = si(Sq. inches).

What changes, however, is the shape of the contact patch. A wide tire's contact patch is short and wide (which adds stability in cornering), while a narrow tire's cp is long and narrow (which, as you pointed out, is more easily able to cut through snow to reach the pavement underneath).

Also agreed about the benefits of a taller sidewall in these circumstances.
This actually isn't quite correct...for two reasons.

The first reason is that even given the physics you are quoting, you would have to assume that the tire pressure remains the same when you change tires...which it does not necessarily do.

The second reason is that your sidewalls actually do a lot of the weight bearing...modern tires are not balloons any more. If you get bored some day you can prove this to yourself by driving your car onto 4 sheets of graph paper, tracing the outline of the tires onto the paper and measuring the contact patch area. When you multiply by your tire pressures you will come out with a number below the actual weight of your car...

As you point out, however, the aspect ratio of a contact patch's shape is important...probably more important than any of what I wrote above.

As for the looks of the 17s, I'm not a massive fan of the look, but it definitely is getting a lot of positive attention from a lot of people. I went with 17s for the grip and tire choice, not for looks (who would choose 17s for looks on this car anyway?) and I'm getting more attention. Go figure...

The wheels are: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Sport+Package
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Helmar
For those of you in a snow area, another advantage of a taller sidewall is to decrease the liklihood of rim damage if you swipe a curb that's hidden by snow.

HBH
It's saved me at least once already...
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, either I don't know how to use Shutterfly or it nerfs photo detail...it's kinda hard to see what the wheels actually look like on the car in the version of the pic I posted above. Those who are interested may find this version of the pic more useful in judging the look...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDriver
This actually isn't quite correct...for two reasons.

The first reason is that even given the physics you are quoting, you would have to assume that the tire pressure remains the same when you change tires...which it does not necessarily do.

The second reason is that your sidewalls actually do a lot of the weight bearing...modern tires are not balloons any more. If you get bored some day you can prove this to yourself by driving your car onto 4 sheets of graph paper, tracing the outline of the tires onto the paper and measuring the contact patch area. When you multiply by your tire pressures you will come out with a number below the actual weight of your car...

As you point out, however, the aspect ratio of a contact patch's shape is important...probably more important than any of what I wrote above.
Fair enough, Rocketfish. I wasn't trying to impart a graduate-level thesis on tire construction as it pertains to contact patch shape in the real world - I was just trying to dispel the common belief that holds that a wider tire "puts more rubber on the ground".

So, if people really want to get into it, the factors that determine contact patch size include, but are not limited to, tire width, sidewall ratio, sidewall construction, wheel width, vehicle weight and tire pressure. I still hold that these last two are the major variables.

Tire pressures for the street are set through manufacturer recommendations, so pressures for your winter and summer set will likely be the same. Regardless, the formula accounts for changing vehicle weight as well as pressure (disregarding the other variables stated). For the mathematically-disinclined, ceteris paribus (all else being equal), if four people climb into your car, the contact patch size will increase. Likewise, if you add air pressure, contact patch size will decrease.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

As for the looks of the 17s, I'm not a massive fan of the look, but it definitely is getting a lot of positive attention from a lot of people. I went with 17s for the grip and tire choice, not for looks (who would choose 17s for looks on this car anyway?) and I'm getting more attention. Go figure...

The wheels are: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Sport+Package
I'm not a fan of the black wheel look either but I do like the sound of 17" rims that fit over the calipers. Just check the tire prices of the 17's vs the larger sizes.

It's interesting that I clicked on the link and TireRack has the notice "This wheel is not available for your 2012 Audi A7 Sedan 3.0 Sport Package"

How much clearance is there between the front caliper and the rim? That seems to be the issue with 17's and some 18's. Thanks for the info.

If anyone is going to buy a set of wheels for snow use - try the bare rim in the car before mounting a tire to check clearance. Some places will not refund rims that have had tires on them.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
c
It's interesting that I clicked on the link and TireRack has the notice "This wheel is not available for your 2012 Audi A7 Sedan 3.0 Sport Package"

How much clearance is there between the front caliper and the rim? That seems to be the issue with 17's and some 18's. Thanks for the info.

If anyone is going to buy a set of wheels for snow use - try the bare rim in the car before mounting a tire to check clearance. Some places will not refund rims that have had tires on them.
I think it says that because the wheel isn't available in the standard Sport wheel sizes. If you click through the 17" winter tire packages Tirerack has for the A7 you'll see two wheels to choose from IIRC. These are one of the choices.

There's about 1/4" clearance between front brake caliper and the wheel.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There's about 1/4" clearance between front brake caliper and the wheel.
Thanks, I'm keeping a word file of these threads and links so I'll have choices when it's time to buy. I know that some A6's have 17 wheels for winter set ups.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blsching
It's the tire width rather than wheel diameter that could make a difference in performance in snow, i.e., plowing through it. A narrower width cuts through snow better. A narrower tire may require a smaller diameter wheel.
The minus 1 wheels (18") with Pirelli snows (235.55.18) are working out very will.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blsching
The minus 1 wheels (18") with Pirelli snows (235.55.18) are working out very will.
Great Pic!