A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ordered A7! Sport Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered A7! Sport Suspension Question

Hey Guys - quick Q for the group.

I ordered an A7 on 7/17 (still don't have a manufacturing date!)

Daytona Black, Prestige, Walnut Trim, Black Leather interior

As you can see, I didn't add many options because I'm a little cost-conscious at some of the value added here. This will be my daily commuter (60mi/day stop and go) and I neglected to add the sport package because of two reasons:

1. Road Noise
2. Winter Skiing (all-weather tires)

Have I made the wrong decision here? Can someone provide me some warm fuzzy reassurance or should I go back and get things modified? What is the benefit to a daily driver? I love the A7 styling, technology, luxury trim, and handling ... but maybe I'm shorting myself a bit? Comments / Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exactly what does the sport package include? Is it a US model?

I got mine (EU model) with both Sport S-line exterior and S-line interior.
The exterior includes the rims, S-line exterior styling (bumpers), sport suspension, and so on. The interior's got the seats, steering wheel, and some other stuff.

I can't be without the S-line exterior styling and rims, and that's because I love the design. The suspension does its part, as it's lowered.
It depends on what triggers you the most; The exterior/interior design of the A7 or the car itself?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the type of driving you will be doing per your note, the regular suspension will suit you just fine. I went from an RS4 to the A7 and have been surprised by just how capable the handling is. I have the 20" wheels and summer performance tires but NOT the sports suspension. Enjoy the car!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same issue and it was not a question of cost. Drove both yesterday and yes the sports suspension gives you a little less body roll when coming off an exit. However, there was definitely more road noise, don't like the shift padals, and live in the Boston area and rather not bother with snow tires. The 19" Prestige wheels with all seasons seem just right. Good choice and don't second guess yourself.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are going to ski hills, I would recommend all winter tires (which is a more flexible rubber compound
at freezing temp.s and brings car to a stop much better than typical all-seaon tires. But you can make that decision any time and it really is a function of talking to those who have found the big difference through experience. There is a reason winter tires entirely is the law in Quebec (and being considered in Ontario)
and accidents are way down in Quebec (because the variance of stopping distances required unifying
the car population (not because you couldn't be a damn good driver with all-season).

Then the next issue is whether you have a second set of dedicated wheels. Not a small price at 19 inch (and definitely not at twenty which is not necessary or maybe even possible).

On my last RX8 there was a great group buy organized on the RX8 board which I took advantage of.

I hope we can do the same this November for say 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to clarify - I'd probably go 3-4 times a year from sunny Southern California up to the mountains (on well controlled albeit horribly maintained) roads. I don't think I'll need the winter wheels for those minor occasions.

Thanks and I feel better. I'm not too cost-conscious about the overall purchase, I just didn't feel like adding $10K in options and the things I had really wanted I got out of the prestige model. Of course, I'd still love to hear multiple opinions on the sport suspension! =)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nickisme1
Just to clarify - I'd probably go 3-4 times a year from sunny Southern California up to the mountains (on well controlled albeit horribly maintained) roads. I don't think I'll need the winter wheels for those minor occasions.

Thanks and I feel better. I'm not too cost-conscious about the overall purchase, I just didn't feel like adding $10K in options and the things I had really wanted I got out of the prestige model. Of course, I'd still love to hear multiple opinions on the sport suspension! =)
Just got the 20" sport package, and let's clear the record:

Handling is awesome!
Noise in the cab is no different than the A6 I just traded.
Looks good for sure....wouldn't get anything less than the sports package with 20's.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Just got the 20" sport package, and let's clear the record:

Handling is awesome!
Noise in the cab is no different than the A6 I just traded.
Looks good for sure....wouldn't get anything less than the sports package with 20's.
What kind of driving do you do? What are the road surfaces like? I do quite a bit of driving across pretty poorly maintained freeways here in LA. It does wear you down slowly. I'm just curious because of the plentiful reviews stating the 20" sport packages added a significant amount of road noise and made the ride too firm.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nickisme1
What kind of driving do you do? What are the road surfaces like? I do quite a bit of driving across pretty poorly maintained freeways here in LA. It does wear you down slowly. I'm just curious because of the plentiful reviews stating the 20" sport packages added a significant amount of road noise and made the ride too firm.
Great points. I drive in NJ/NY and did both over the past two days. Roads here are terrible. Swiss cheese course to say the least. Mix of paved, and cement roads. Yes, the sound changes, but nowhere near what is being said on this site, nor anywhere near the concern that was perceptually set in my mind prior to purchasing. Is the ride firm? Yes in sport/dynamic mode. Is the ride comfortable and quiet? Yes in comfort mode. It offers the 4 modes, and they are significantly different from each other, not just MMI adjustments for optics. They are totally different in each mode. So a mix of roads, highway, city, well paved, rough, and pot hole ridden is what I am forced to drive.

One last thing.....GET THE PACKAGE FOR THE TIRES AND RIMS!!!!! Without this, you will worry forever about hitting a pothole and busting a rim. In LA, you probably have a much better road surface, but it still is something that is an insurance ease of mind.

Bottom line, these rims, that sports package is well worth the money....well worth it. Don't ever let others determine your final move though. Test drive one with the 20's, and be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

:-) Happy as all hell here in NJ. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

What part of the country are you from?

Quick Reply: Ordered A7! Sport Suspension Question