A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seats

I read in Autoweek that the plan is to offer a bench seat option in the back to make it a 5 passenger vehicle.

But I have not seen this discussed anywhere else. With 3 kids this is a critical point for me in determining whether to wait for the A7 or go ahead with the new A8.

Has anybody heard anything on this? Anything from Audi?

It just makes a lot of sense to at least offer this as an option. If they offer this on an A7 cabrio they will have the 5-seat convertible market locked up.

I saw they are offering the 5 seat option on the VW Passat CC due to customer feedback so maybe the days of 4 seat coupe/sedans are numbered anyway.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Based on the pics provided by Audi, looks like the rear seating is essentially a bench seat that could accomodate 3 people, although the center seating would be less comfortable without the thigh/leg extension that's incorporated into the two outer seating areas (similar configuration in my A8), as well has having the center armrest as the back cushion. However, the lack of legroom for the center seat area, due to close proximity to the back of the center console, could be an issue.
Attached Images   

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-30-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

According to German magazine it's unfortunately only 4 seats:

http://www.focus.de/auto/neuheiten/o...id_534684.html

If you don't read German and you have internet explorer 8 you can select text and then right click and hover over translate and you'll see popup with the translation.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Again, here in the UK we're getting an early preview of the car. I've been invited to one of the local dealerships this coming Wednesday (4th August) to see a car brought over from Germany. I'm guessing it's pre-production (similar to the A8 I saw earlier in the year).

I'll take a few pics if I get time to go and put them up here.

Jet
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

note in the press pics below of the euro models that there appears to be room for 3, but there are only 2 seat belt anchors
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Based on the pics provided by Audi, looks like the rear seating is essentially a bench seat that could accomodate 3 people.
In my opinion, that the picture makes us illusion. In order to make spacious rear seat area especially leg room, the front seats are moved toward to the front than normal condition. most car companies do this trick!

This picture shows us an evidence. See and compare headrest position between two picture.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dekomi66
In my opinion, that the picture makes us illusion. In order to make spacious rear seat area especially leg room, the front seats are moved toward to the front than normal condition. most car companies do this trick!

This picture shows us an evidence. See and compare headrest position between two picture.

I agree with your observation about the limited rear leg room when the front seats are moved rearward....My point was addressing the issue of how many people's rear-ends would fit on the rear seat, nothing more. With small children, the rear leg room is less of an issue vs. adult comfort.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I agree with your observation about the limited rear leg room when the front seats are moved rearward....My point was addressing the issue of how many people's rear-ends would fit on the rear seat, nothing more. With small children, the rear leg room is less of an issue vs. adult comfort.
As mentioned in Europe it's definitely only 2+2 but there is a small hope Audi might change this for US since I recall vaguely A7 would have 3 rear seats for the US but potentially plans changed. Certainly enough room and this is not a small car and bit longer than the A5 sportback (although most went into cargo).
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lucien4
As mentioned in Europe it's definitely only 2+2 but there is a small hope Audi might change this for US since I recall vaguely A7 would have 3 rear seats for the US but potentially plans changed. Certainly enough room and this is not a small car and bit longer than the A5 sportback (although most went into cargo).
According to Road and Track the 3-seat rear bench will be a U.S. option some point after initial release:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...i-a7-sportback

"Interestingly, a 4-seat configuration with individual rear seats will be standard on the first U.S.-bound A7s. A 3-seat rear bench is coming later."

I'm curious, is anybody besides me even interested in seating for 5 on the A7?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A8Ldavid
According to Road and Track the 3-seat rear bench will be a U.S. option some point after initial release:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...i-a7-sportback

"Interestingly, a 4-seat configuration with individual rear seats will be standard on the first U.S.-bound A7s. A 3-seat rear bench is coming later."

I'm curious, is anybody besides me even interested in seating for 5 on the A7?
I'm not. I'd prefer a true 4-seat config with a full center console running through the rear seats, ala the Panamera.

Quick Reply: Rear Seats