A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I'm not. I'd prefer a true 4-seat config with a full center console running through the rear seats, ala the Panamera.
If that's what you want it would be hard to beat the buffed-up executive 4-seat option in the new A8L. That is sweet. But I'd have to sit back there while someone else drives, doesn't make much sense!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8Ldavid
If that's what you want it would be hard to beat the buffed-up executive 4-seat option in the new A8L. That is sweet. But I'd have to sit back there while someone else drives, doesn't make much sense!
Doesn't make much sense to me either. Let's hope Road & Track is right.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by A8Ldavid
Ha! And that would also negate the fun of driving the D4!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the preview of the car (something to do with my wife shouting at me about my daughters 4th birthday on the same day).

I did find out, as you probably already know, that it won't be offered with 5 seats and that insurance companies are being told it will only have 4 seats.

The heads up display and the warning stuff, my dealer is also getting the car at his delearship next week (when I'm away), so will get that question hopefully answered. I've also asked him to find out about a big glass roof - like in the Miami concept.

If the product expert for the A7 is the A8 person, he's also going to give him a bit of a verbal ear bashing over some of the quality issues with the D4 and ask if they will be present in the A7!

Jet
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
CWK
AudiWorld Member

Default Rear bench seat in A7

I, too, would only find the A7 doable with a 3 seat rear bench due to kids. My preference would be to get a 2012 S6 Avant to replace my 2002, but I've given up on hoping Audi USA will bring that model back into the States. It's more likely I can wait until an S7 is available, but I need that 3rd seatbelt/headrest in the back.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 374 Posts

My dealer has confirmed that a third seat belt option is being made available for the rear of both the A7 Sportback and A5 Sportback models in Europe by the end of this year.

I am surprised they did not include this with the release of the A7, given the width of the rear is virtually identical to the current A6.

Whilst the sloping roof on both Sportback models will cause a height issue for anyone sitting in the middle of the current configuration, it will not be a problem for children. It was possibly as much to do with product planners, as any safety issue, but there have been many complaints in Europe about the lack of a third seat belt in the A5 SB. Given they sell these models at a premium to their equivalent sedan platforms, the bean counters probably realised that the 4 seat restriction was hurting their bottom line.

No idea whether this option will be available for the A7 in the US market. Obviously, one of the ways Audi try and cope with the very low pricing of their product in the US market is to batch process and limit option choices.

As I am currently considering either an A7 or an A8, the addition of the third seat belt swings the balance for me back towards the A7. It is a little shorter, and that will make a big difference re. available parking spaces, and the cargo area is much better than the amazingly small trunk in the A8. I cannot fit the luggage I currently cart around in my A6 in the trunk of an A8, despite that car being dramatically longer.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
My dealer has confirmed that a third seat belt option is being made available for the rear of both the A7 Sportback and A5 Sportback models in Europe by the end of this year.

I am surprised they did not include this with the release of the A7, given the width of the rear is virtually identical to the current A6.

Whilst the sloping roof on both Sportback models will cause a height issue for anyone sitting in the middle of the current configuration, it will not be a problem for children. It was possibly as much to do with product planners, as any safety issue, but there have been many complaints in Europe about the lack of a third seat belt in the A5 SB. Given they sell these models at a premium to their equivalent sedan platforms, the bean counters probably realised that the 4 seat restriction was hurting their bottom line.

No idea whether this option will be available for the A7 in the US market. Obviously, one of the ways Audi try and cope with the very low pricing of their product in the US market is to batch process and limit option choices.

As I am currently considering either an A7 or an A8, the addition of the third seat belt swings the balance for me back towards the A7. It is a little shorter, and that will make a big difference re. available parking spaces, and the cargo area is much better than the amazingly small trunk in the A8. I cannot fit the luggage I currently cart around in my A6 in the trunk of an A8, despite that car being dramatically longer.
Great information! Thanks for posting.

This seems to confirm some of the nebulous reports we've been getting that 3 seats in the back is a future option.

It makes sense, after all, to at least offer it as an option so there is a good chance we'll see it in the U.S.

I really want an A7 so this is great news, to me, anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 374 Posts

You're welcome.

At a guess, they will probably introduce this at the same time as they make available the larger, i.e. V8, engines. I'm not happy that the 6 cylinder engines released so far are running a lower state of tune than those used in the A8.