A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Recent MMI and Steering updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Yes, the updates are separate for steering and MMI. Your Audi dealer will have the necessary information as I believe the updates are documented in recent TSB's.
Hi, I received a call from the dealer stating there is a power steering update and a Door seals recall, my car has been tuned and I do not want to take the car to the dealer unnecesarily, do you happen to know what was the power steering update and if you feel any difference at all? thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the power steering update on mine. I didn't know about the MMI update until after I picked up my car.

The steering feels more weighted an more direct to me. But then again I was driving a front drive A6 as a loaner and its steering was pretty lite. I'm not sure if it seems heavier because I'm drive been driving a front drive A6 for a few days.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Hi, I received a call from the dealer stating there is a power steering update and a Door seals recall, my car has been tuned and I do not want to take the car to the dealer unnecesarily, do you happen to know what was the power steering update and if you feel any difference at all? thanks
Yeah, once they reflash your ECU, it's game over.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aquarian
Yeah, once they reflash your ECU, it's game over.
I do not feel my steering wandering and the OP posted "The TSB for this update only states that it address a premature error condition" so I guess I will be avoiding the dealer this time, unless there is a fellow memeber who happens to be a SA and can tell me exactly what to do.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d2000one
I have had the power steering update on mine. I didn't know about the MMI update until after I picked up my car.

The steering feels more weighted an more direct to me. But then again I was driving a front drive A6 as a loaner and its steering was pretty lite. I'm not sure if it seems heavier because I'm drive been driving a front drive A6 for a few days.
I got my power steering update done today (says on the work order: Perform update per 48K4). I did also asked the SA to check for any MMI update - he punched in my VIN - nothing, only the 48K4 came up. He also made me sign a waiver just in case I had chipped my ECU (of which I have not). According to him, this update might also flash the ECU. Less than an hour later, its done, I checked all my Vagcom mods - they're all still there - Yipee!
Drove home with various Drive Select settings - nothing's changed; Bose still sounded the same - pretty good to my ears!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ben_aip
He also made me sign a waiver just in case I had chipped my ECU (of which I have not). According to him, this update might also flash the ECU. Less than an hour later, its done, I checked all my Vagcom mods - they're all still there - Yipee!
Drove home with various Drive Select settings - nothing's changed; Bose still sounded the same - pretty good to my ears!
He made you sign a waiver if you have had chipped the car??? what for?? in case you "lose" your tune and you do not make them accountable??? I do not understand why signing a waiver, a waiver is signed when doing something on their end will affect you in some way, but a chip is not authorized by Audi at all.
What I can tell you is that power steering and engine (or main) ECUs are two different things, reflashing the power steering has nothing to do with the other one (that is why you still have your mods), and ALSO when I DID chipped my car I DID lost the VAG com mods (Not all of them by the way, for example Video in Motion was still there) all the lightning mods were gone.

And you didnt feel anything different with the car, I think I will just pass in the steering update, I do not want to risk of them finding out about the tune (by hooking the main computer and run the background diagnostics) for an upgrade that doesnt do much for the car, if something happens that merits going to the dealer I will get my car back to stock (completely stock not just the stock mode of the tune, they saved the image of my car prior of the tune) and then I will get all the updates due.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

I just read in a forum from Spain what exactly the fix 48k4 does

"La campaña hace referencia a la dirección asistida: se habían presentado casos en los que, al poner el vehículo en marcha, se encendía el testigo de la unidad que controla la dirección en el cuadro de mandos. Funcionalmente no daba ningún problema. La campaña se basa en una actualización del software de la unidad que corrige ese problema."

translating is "the campaign is in reference to the power steering, there have been cases when at starting the car, there was a warning light of the unit that controls the power steering, functionally there was no problem, the campaign is based in a software update that controls the ECU that fixes this problem"

So more in my favor, I have not seen any problem nor warning light, so no upgrade for me.

Anybody heard about the door seals???
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BasicSlvr -

Can you do me a favor and take a photo of your Nav Screen with the updated value and either post here on the forum or send to me via e-mail (deanrose@gmail.com)? I had my 2012 A7 Prestige (Bose) at Audi Dallas today for which the shop foreman indicated that the version I'm on is the latest. I pressed the issue with the service advisor, showed them a copy of your forum post with the exact version and when they looked it up the version they found is the same version that I'm on when I took delivery back in April 2011.

So I would love to have an actual snapshot of your MMI screen to take in a show them.

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks

Dean

Here's what mine looks like currently:

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
The mmi update is : HN+_US_AU_P0487. The current Nav version is: 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5. I'm not sure what the current steering update version is. Your dealer will have the details as I believe the updates are Audi required.

After a few days with the update, I can definately state that the Bose sound is improved. Better imaging, better defined bass and mids.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deanrose: YGM

Originally Posted by deanrose
BasicSlvr -

Can you do me a favor and take a photo of your Nav Screen with the updated value and either post here on the forum or send to me via e-mail (deanrose@gmail.com)? I had my 2012 A7 Prestige (Bose) at Audi Dallas today for which the shop foreman indicated that the version I'm on is the latest. I pressed the issue with the service advisor, showed them a copy of your forum post with the exact version and when they looked it up the version they found is the same version that I'm on when I took delivery back in April 2011.

So I would love to have an actual snapshot of your MMI screen to take in a show them.

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks

Dean

Here's what mine looks like currently:
YGM, I provided some extra pics to include the current date as "evidence" Best of luck.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like the nav database has been updated as well.

Quick Reply: Recent MMI and Steering updates