A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Second/First Downshift Jerk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk785
I dropped mine off at audi last week for a variety of issues that I had been logging over the past few months. I pointed them to this thread, since this was one of my first complaints about the car when I first took delivery.

It's not something that is reproducible on demand, so giving them the car and telling them something happens that they can't reproduce... it's frustrating for them, but more so for the guy that gets the answer 'we can't fix that,' each time I report it as a problem. This thread helped them point to the 'comfort mode' as the resolution since dynamic can be a bit rougher. That CANT be the solution, and I know it still does it in comfort, but who the hell drives it in comfort?

There has to be a centralized audi db where these issues are collected. Even if its only 10-15 people that have reported it, and someone has documented a fix, I can't imagine that audi does not have the ability to check to see if others have experienced the issue.

So, after a week at the shop (nearly) I'll be going to pick up my car with, jerky transmissions (occasionally from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to first), a software update that removes my HD Radio (as a solution to the poor quality) but fixes other issues that needed fixing, as well as a new front plate insert that was pealing, and another un-diagnosed issue: car taking a while to turn over, or doesn't start on first try.

oh well. might be back to lexus for my wife's next car--the guys are audi are nice, but seems like the corporate audi overlords are a bit too stingy with allowing fixes or something.
Bear in mind that even if you have the car in Dynamic the transmission defaults to "NON SPORT" everytime you restart the car, if you really want the transmission to be in Dynamic (sport) you have to either pull the gearshift or reselect Dynamic mode again.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First to Second S6 Sport Mode Hard Shift

Originally Posted by Jason Won
I am currently having repairs made on my 08' S6, the issue is exactly the same, plus mine will hesitate to engage gear if I want to start driving right at or after the jerk. I had more issues with it under hard driving sport mode, it revs and the gear kicks in just as I had the gear in Neutral rev and snapped into a "D", the car will try to go forward with my rev force but the tranny stops it from doing that. I experienced it about 10 or more times, I actually looked back to see if someone hit me from behind.

After multiple visits to a Dealership, TCM reprograms and such, my car is acting even worse, they are changing a part called Transmission Valve Cover, I will post again to see if that fixed the problem, they said only thing left to do after the change is, replacing the Tranny.
Jason. Did you ever figure this issue out?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have this jerking happen very rarely. If I'm not mistaken the transmission is the combination of 3 systems, electrical, pneumatic, and the amazing sport diff. The jerk is the cause of the sport diff. The sport diff does have a "memory" so-to-speak. I only get the jerk when I'm driving less responsibly then go back to driving normally (the mode I'm in doesn't matter). The transmission is behaving as if I'm, still going to or want to, drive with more aggressiveness; the jerk is the transmission "resetting" itself.

Once I noticed it, I changed my driving habits, now it happens very very rarely. Since the sport diff is software controlled I believe a really good update should do the trick, if its available.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ETAzero
I have this jerking happen very rarely. If I'm not mistaken the transmission is the combination of 3 systems, electrical, pneumatic, and the amazing sport diff. The jerk is the cause of the sport diff. The sport diff does have a "memory" so-to-speak. I only get the jerk when I'm driving less responsibly then go back to driving normally (the mode I'm in doesn't matter). The transmission is behaving as if I'm, still going to or want to, drive with more aggressiveness; the jerk is the transmission "resetting" itself.

Once I noticed it, I changed my driving habits, now it happens very very rarely. Since the sport diff is software controlled I believe a really good update should do the trick, if its available.
I understand the beautiful kick that the sport mode gives you. It's like installing a shift kit on an old TH-350. The shifts are harder.

But, seriously, my S6 in sport mode, feels like someone just hit you from behind and left your tranny on the ground. It only happens from from 1st to 2nd when you have slowed down enough to come back into 1st. When you accelerate, the rpms go up, and it pounds into 2nd.

Crazy stuff. Just can't be normal.
Sport mode is the only mode this happens.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was unaware the car resets to comfort mode when restarted. That makes sense because I often feel after a restart the car loses some throttle. I experience jerking at low speeds sporadically. I always assumed this was due to the stop/start feature. I feel like my car comes to rather abrupt stops when that feature is on.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Marwan

the car started doing a jerk downshifting from second to first when coming to a complete stop. Can someone advise me?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by abuhakam
the car started doing a jerk downshifting from second to first when coming to a complete stop. Can someone advise me?
I’m having the same issue as well, finding a way to fix.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had this issue and lag plus hesitation and rough upshfits in dynamic mode on my 2016 A7 with only 44k miles and got a new mechatronic unit and transmission from Audi under warranty and it fixed all my problems. Good luck.