A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Second tire sidewall bubble in 1 month - Will Audi exchange all 4 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy
Appreciate your effort to contribute, however higher air pressure, not lower, protects the sidewalls from damage. Perhaps I should have over-pressured them in hindsight. Anyway, the new Bridgestones should be here today with any luck.
Just to continue the discussion, but actually, both over and under inflation can increase risk of tire damage if you hit something like a pothole or curb. While you're correct that under inflation causes the sidewalls to unduly flex, over inflation can also place additional, unyielding stress on a tire if it hits an object or hole. Lots of articles on the web discussing this.

I was just pointing out that the door sticker is for max loads and the manual provides info for normal loads. If one is using the max load pressure with a normal load, it's essentially like over inflating. Under inflation would be true if under a full load, one doesn't adjust pressure up per the max load recommendation. Also, over inflating has some additional risks associated with a smaller footprint patch on the road, particularly in slippery conditions.

Finally, there's ride comfort vs. handling considerations. I usually go a couple of lbs. higher under normal load than the manual indicates. I find it's a good compromise between the two for my taste.

In any case, I hope you have better luck with the new tires. I have a set of Bridgestone RE970AS Ultra-high Perfomance all seasons and love 'em.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think what this is referring to is the tread area becomes unyeilding with over pressure and not giving for road debris. OK I understand that. However, for me, the sidewalls were being "bitten" by the rim when hitting a pothole, and lower pressure would make it hit harder. I am a mountain biker and they call this "snake bites" as even if the tire is OK, on tubed tires the rim could cut little slits on either side when coming down on a sharp rock. This bicycle example is sort of what was happening to the Conti's. I am hoping for better results with the Bridgestones, we also got 970 Pole Position tires and just mounted them today. Seem good so far.

Cheers,
Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear LS sidewall bubbles 2013 A6

I've had sidewall bubbles in 2 tires after presumed minor impacts of 19" rims. Never happened to me before in 50+ yrs driving. has this happened to others? Will Audi or Goodyear offer compensation?
my dealer says no.