A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Side Assist System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Side Assist System Fault

I was driving on the highway today and suddenly I got a beep and the message "Side Assist System Fault" showed up. The red light in the door pillar that shows that the Side Assist function is turned on has gone out. I pressed the button to turn it back on, the light came back and the Side Assist has been functioning for the rest of the trip.

I originally turned Side Assist on when I got the car 3 months ago and it has been on and working fine until today.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago when a tiny rock hit my windshield. I hit the button afterward and it still working till now.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the info I got from the dealer:

"The side assist functions may be impaired and or create a fault on highways that have metal on their medians and on roadways made of concrete. This is normal and you can turn it back on and it will function again. The reason that it tells you there is a fault is to warn the driver that the system is not functioning."
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I was driving on the highway today and suddenly I got a beep and the message "Side Assist System Fault" showed up. The red light in the door pillar that shows that the Side Assist function is turned on has gone out. I pressed the button to turn it back on, the light came back and the Side Assist has been functioning for the rest of the trip.

I originally turned Side Assist on when I got the car 3 months ago and it has been on and working fine until today.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was in a tight tunnel, with a metal median, slowing in one lane with cars flying past closely in the other. I figured the radar didn't get a sensible return, and shut itself off. The system has worked flawless after I turned it on right away again, and since then for the past 4 weeks to date.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ultrahertz
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was in a tight tunnel, with a metal median, slowing in one lane with cars flying past closely in the other. I figured the radar didn't get a sensible return, and shut itself off. The system has worked flawless after I turned it on right away again, and since then for the past 4 weeks to date.
I feel the explanation I got from the dealer is acceptable. If it only happens a few times a year, we can live with it.