A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Some photos of ambient lighting

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiR8A7
Wow, really? Looks like a christmas tree, I like!
I don't think the A6 has the ambient lighting on the Prestige, so you made a good choice for having a Christmas tree in the car!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
I don't think the A6 has the ambient lighting on the Prestige, so you made a good choice for having a Christmas tree in the car!
I agree

3.more.weeks. its draaaaaaaaging.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to the Web site, the Prestige package adds "Ambient Lighting Plus" - but I couldn't find a whole lot more about what that actually entails (nor have I driven a Prestige at night to figure that out myself...).

If you hop over to the UK Web site - it looks like they split it out into two packages (neither that say "plus")

QQ1

Lighting package. Includes lighting for exterior:
  • Courtesy lighting on the underside of the door handles and LED door handle lighting for easy entry and exit in the dark
  • Automatic activation when the doors are unlocked
  • Active internal door reflectors
Interior:
  • Entrance lighting
  • LED technology
  • 2 reading lights at front and rear
  • Front footwell
  • Inside door handles
  • Make-up lights
  • Storage compartment in the centre console
  • Ambient lighting of the centre console
  • Ambient reflected light for inside door trims

QQ2

Ambient lighting, in addition to interior and exterior lighting package (QQ1), anti-glare LED illumination for the passenger compartment. Lighting for door pockets, footwells and inside door handles, reflected lighting for centre console and door inner panels to help occupants find their way around. Surround lighting for centre console (floating effect), make-up lights at front and active door reflectors, with illuminated door sill trims. Configured via MMI.

Last edited by basf_audio; 07-13-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does as long as you get the 3.0 not 2.0. I know someone that has one.

The 3.0 is the same config as the A7. It comes with Ambient lighting and if you get the Prestige, you get the LED Ambient lighting.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by basf_audio
According to the Web site, the Prestige package adds "Ambient Lighting Plus" - but I couldn't find a whole lot more about what that actually entails (nor have I driven a Prestige at night to figure that out myself...).

Ambient lighting, in addition to interior and exterior lighting package (QQ1), anti-glare LED illumination for the passenger compartment. Lighting for door pockets, footwells and inside door handles, reflected lighting for centre console and door inner panels to help occupants find their way around. Surround lighting for centre console (floating effect), make-up lights at front and active door reflectors, with illuminated door sill trims. Configured via MMI.

The only difference with the Prestige version is that it has LED lighting for the items you posted above.

The regular version just uses standard bulbs.

The only exception I believe is that the non-Prestige doesnt have illuminated door sills. Otherwise, same illumination items, just different lighting technology.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by basf_audio

If you hop over to the UK Web site - it looks like they split it out into two packages (neither that say "plus")

QQ1

Lighting package. Includes lighting for exterior:
  • Courtesy lighting on the underside of the door handles and LED door handle lighting for easy entry and exit in the dark
  • Automatic activation when the doors are unlocked
  • Active internal door reflectors
Interior:
  • Entrance lighting
  • LED technology
  • 2 reading lights at front and rear
  • Front footwell
  • Inside door handles
  • Make-up lights
  • Storage compartment in the centre console
  • Ambient lighting of the centre console
  • Ambient reflected light for inside door trims

QQ2

So here in the UK, my new A7 does not have the Ambient light pack but has most of what is listed above. The only thing that I can see that the ambient light pack offers is the floating LEDs around the lower centre console, the door sill illumination and the ability to configure via MMI. I was actually quite surprised at how much LED based lighting is in the standard package, LED lights in the door panels, in the handles, bottom of the doors (puddle lights) and footwells etc etc. The only non LED lights seems to be the map reading lights in the roof console and the make up lights on the visors.

I believe the door sill lighting on the R8 is around £800 and this might explain where most of the cost is going on the ambient lighting package for the A6/A7. So in summary it is a nice to have but I believe there is enough ambient lighting in the car already without adding the additional pack. But everyone will have their own thoughts on this I guess !
Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
It does as long as you get the 3.0 not 2.0. I know someone that has one.

The 3.0 is the same config as the A7. It comes with Ambient lighting and if you get the Prestige, you get the LED Ambient lighting.

Ok, finally found the "ambient lighting plus" under the A6 features page. It is hidden on the chart, and not as a feature highlight like the A7.

However, under the A7 section, the ambient lighting is simply called "lighting package", whereas in A6 it is called "ambient lighting plus"

Last edited by aquarian; 07-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
Nice shots...

I think your beige interior is contributing to the hue.

Against black, the LED ambient lighting looks like the typical white with a hint of blue (like your door sill picture). With the non-LED version, it looks more yellow like normal interior lighting.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I believe that the ambient lighting has a different color temperature than the door sill's lighting. Matter of fact, there is a silver plate around the door sill so it is not against any dark color. Audi, in my opinion, uses several colors of LEDs for its interior lighting. The interior ambient lighting strips are of different color than the ones on the bottom of the doors and the door storage compartment, for example.