A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering issues

I have a question on steering. I have a 2012 Prestige A7 and it seems like the steering has a little slop in it. Probably an inch or two loose steering then it's like it hits a stop - you can turn the wheel back and forth and feel the "stop". It's really weird. I had them check it at my 5,000 mile service and the dealer said there's nothing wrong. I really don't think it was like this in the beginning. It's hard to describe and isn't always bad. I know the A7's steering isn't like the old type setups. If it were, I'd say there was slop in the front steering rack. I did have the steering update done at my last service. Anybody else having issues, or know what this is?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's another recent thread about steering issues.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2837770
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I find the same thing if steering is in "Comfort" mode. Setting it to "Dynamic" seems to cure it for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree about Dynamic, but still feels a bit loose. There must be a way to Vag Mod some stiffness into the steering?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It almost feels like there are detents sometimes in the steering. Or I'll be cruising in a straight line, hit a little bump and the steering wheel will jerk a little. I really feel disconnected. I know this can't be right.
I notice this issue most in Dynamic mode.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by craignhp
I have a question on steering. I have a 2012 Prestige A7 and it seems like the steering has a little slop in it. Probably an inch or two loose steering then it's like it hits a stop - you can turn the wheel back and forth and feel the "stop". It's really weird. I had them check it at my 5,000 mile service and the dealer said there's nothing wrong. I really don't think it was like this in the beginning. It's hard to describe and isn't always bad. I know the A7's steering isn't like the old type setups. If it were, I'd say there was slop in the front steering rack. I did have the steering update done at my last service. Anybody else having issues, or know what this is?
I Have the same issue and my dealer tells me it's "normal" even though it was not the case on my A6 or the A8's I've driven
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It almost feels like there are detents sometimes in the steering. Or I'll be cruising in a straight line, hit a little bump and the steering wheel will jerk a little. I really feel disconnected. I know this can't be right.
I have the same issue in my 2013 A7. My dealer tells me it's "normal" but I have never experienced it in any other car I've ever driven including late model A6's and A8's. Clearly it can't be "normal" else reviewers would have remarked on it in their otherwise high praise reviews.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same problem in my 2012 A7. I notice it mostly at low speed (25mph or less). An inch or so of slop in the wheel, and two "detents" where it kind of stops on either side of center. I thought I was imagining it. Good to know I'm not crazy. I'm almost due for my 5k, I'll definitely bring it up. I haven't played with dynamic vs comfort, etc. so I'll try that to see if it changes it at all.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Twitchy steering

I have the same sensation in both Comfort and Dynamic steering modes, and I'm starting to find this annoying. Has anyone found a fix?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by esaenger
I have the same sensation in both Comfort and Dynamic steering modes, and I'm starting to find this annoying. Has anyone found a fix?
No official fix from Audi at this time. You'll find lots of info here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844976

Quick Reply: Steering issues