A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Is there no power steering fluid in Audi A7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there no power steering fluid in Audi A7?

I know Audi A7 employs electromechanical steering but does that mean it has no power steering fluid or a pump?. I can't see to find an reservoir tank for the fluid - if there is one.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

The electro-mechanical power steering does not have a traditional fluid reservoir since there's no fluid.

Welcome aboard !!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sweet ! I need to replace my steering rack due to damage. This should be piece of cake.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you need the instructions? I have the shop manual

Last edited by giovane; 12-14-2016 at 03:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Byron/wendy (06-26-2022)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by giovane
Do you need the instructions? I have the shop manual
Yes - Please. That will be great help.
I also have ROSS Tech cable and software - is there any instructions on or if i need to program or recode the power assist module again.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The electro-mechanical power steering does not have a traditional fluid reservoir since there's no fluid.
My 2012 A7 Fluid capacity chart PDF shows that there is 1.0L of power steering fluid (Part Number G 002 000 or G 004 000). There is also a cooler pictured below. Since there isn't the usual belt driven power steering pump, there's no reservoir topside. Probably have to check and fill by removing a plug similar to modern day transmissions.

Name:  AWE%2030_zps66nqirt5.jpg
Views: 13330
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 12-15-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

There

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EU?usp=sharing

you will need to hit the ok button on the 3rd page to access the whole pdf.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Tenspeed, that's interesting to see. Maybe it's only on the newest cars. I don't know what model year OP's car is.

From Audi website (Germany):

The differences among model lines stem from the technique used to generate the servo power. The A3 and TT families and the A6* and A7 Sportback all have an electromechanical solution on board. An electric motor generates the steering assist, and the system requires no hydraulic components at all. It consumes no energy when the car is traveling in a straight line, saving as much as 0.3 liters of fuel per 100 km.

The electromechanical power steering is integrated with the sensors of the ESP stabilization program. To mitigate the danger of skidding, it automatically makes slight corrections whenever the car is at risk of deviating from course during braking. It stops the driver from making steering corrections that would make the situation worse by temporarily reducing the power assist. Accurate corrections, on the other hand, are facilitated with increased servo power. Using the electromechanical power steering and attendant ultrasound sensors, the A3, A6 and A7 Sportback all back autonomously into the parking space during reverse parking.

In the A6 and A7 Sportback, the electromechanical power steering can also be equipped with Audi active lane assist, which helps the driver to stay in the lane. The park assist system in the full-size models is also a particularly powerful function.

The compact A1* makes use of its own technique – electrohydraulic power steering. Here a map-controlled electric motor delivers power steering fluid to the steering gear. As speed increases, the speed of the electric motor and thus the power assist decrease. With high steering angles (when maneuvering, for instance) the volumetric flow increases, and so does the power assist....
Name:  ure_zpsriez2tqt.jpg
Views: 15770
Size:  42.2 KB
Old 12-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by giovane
There

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EU?usp=sharing

you will need to hit the ok button on the 3rd page to access the whole pdf.
Super. Thank you Much !
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Tenspeed, that's interesting to see. Maybe it's only on the newest cars. I don't know what model year OP's car is.
I have 2014 - and can confirm there is no power steering fluid.

Also, I'll be removing and installing the rack in my garage - any harm in removing the cross brace while the car is on ramps? It is only option that works for me...

https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-119.../dp/B006EGAIII