A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tips on Stereo and sound - SD Card

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Stereo and sound - SD Card

I finally did some experimenting, and broke down to buy 2 32Gb SD cards. Loaded these bad boys up, and put them into the slots last night. Afterwards took a spin, and listened to the Who Quadrophenia.

Between the "new release", the SD card, and my 10" Kicker sub and amp in the trunk, all I could say is that I made a great decision to go for the base stereo. It is now better than the options that were given, and close to one of my best sounds in a car yet (and I have experimented a lot over the years).

32Gb, dual is as digital as it gets. In fact, I may say the hell with the Ipod (inferior sound in the car compared to ths SD cards and from what I hear the USB that I plan on getting to connect a hard drive to the unit). Not sure if this will work, but will give it a go. One interesting thing!!!

I started to listen to Jeff Beck, and at the back end a video pops up on my MMI screen (through the SD Card), and started to play brilliantly a rock video with Jeff Beck playing to some lady singer (not sure yet who she is). The colors were brilliant to say the least, like watching my color tv at home. I am researching how this happened, but what a treat for me. I can say that base stereo, sub in the trunk appropriately amped and connected to the sub box, SD cards and a bit of tweaking made my music sound brilliant!!!.

I am very happy to listen to such a brilliant sound and glad I didn't go for the Bose or the B&O (prohibitive)!!!!

Good Luck All, and hopefully this helps. The kicker was matched up against the amp by the installer, and he did a tremendous "non invasive" job on this.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good to hear! I use the SD cards almost exclusively. Books on one, music on the other. I've read reviews (CNET comes to mind) questioning why Audi has SD slots & frankly, I like it alot.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carljones11
Good to hear! I use the SD cards almost exclusively. Books on one, music on the other. I've read reviews (CNET comes to mind) questioning why Audi has SD slots & frankly, I like it alot.
hey carl, i just got a 2009 with 30k miles on it. my question is i just bought a 4GB SD memory card and put some mp3 files on it but when i tried it on my car it didn't work giving me a msg of unreadable or error, i can't remember. so should the SD card be of certain type or it is the same one used for digital cameras?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
hey carl, i just got a 2009 with 30k miles on it. my question is i just bought a 4GB SD memory card and put some mp3 files on it but when i tried it on my car it didn't work giving me a msg of unreadable or error, i can't remember. so should the SD card be of certain type or it is the same one used for digital cameras?
There is no special requirements for the SD card, all class types and sizes seem to work fine.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your 2009 Q5 may be like my RS4 was - nothing larger than a 2GB card will work. Looks like they removed that restriction on the A7, even though I am still using my old 2GB cards in the A7. I am lazy.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Your 2009 Q5 may be like my RS4 was - nothing larger than a 2GB card will work. Looks like they removed that restriction on the A7, even though I am still using my old 2GB cards in the A7. I am lazy.
+1 on this although yours may except a somewhat larger size, check the manual. The A7 will do 32G.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you guys
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great post! I also only use both SD slots, 32 gb in each in my Q5. I too did extensive research and this was the best way to go sonically IMO, will be the same drill in my A7 when I get it next week.

Wasn't sure if I understood you correctly but it seems like you may try a high capacity external USB drive? Keep in mind that the MMI limits any external drive to 4000 files, so files 4001 and above will be unreadable. Perhaps this is different in the A7 MMI but it was definitely the case in my 2012 Premium Plus Q5 with B&O.

Do you have any info on the sub upgrade? Looks like I'll need to give some help to the Bose system for sure.

Thanks again for a great post.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What format are you guys using on the SD cards? If you're using MP3 or AAC you may not be reaching the full potential of your system. I know the difference was huge when I switched between my iPod and the real cds in my A6 w/Bose.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Format

Originally Posted by Eric5412
What format are you guys using on the SD cards? If you're using MP3 or AAC you may not be reaching the full potential of your system. I know the difference was huge when I switched between my iPod and the real cds in my A6 w/Bose.
What format are you using?

Quick Reply: Tips on Stereo and sound - SD Card