A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

UK: "Gearbox malfunction - You can continue driving"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello new to owning an audi and not very car savvy. is "gearbox malfunction" the same thing as transmission malfunction? I've been googling "transmission malfunction, you can continue driving with limited function. please contact service", and mostly "gearbox malfunction you can continue driving etc..." threads have shown up. Wasnt sure it was non united states thing or not.

But i bought my car used 2018 q5, with 43.6k miles on it. didnt have an issue the first few days, but one day that message come up. it goes away when i turn off the car and drive again, but its prob popped up 5-6 times in the last 2 weeks, mostly shows up coming in/out of a stop and have the auto engine turnoff feature turned on. Thoughts? Im hoping its covered by warranty.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by oevets20
Hello new to owning an audi and not very car savvy. is "gearbox malfunction" the same thing as transmission malfunction? I've been googling "transmission malfunction, you can continue driving with limited function. please contact service", and mostly "gearbox malfunction you can continue driving etc..." threads have shown up. Wasnt sure it was non united states thing or not.

But i bought my car used 2018 q5, with 43.6k miles on it. didnt have an issue the first few days, but one day that message come up. it goes away when i turn off the car and drive again, but its prob popped up 5-6 times in the last 2 weeks, mostly shows up coming in/out of a stop and have the auto engine turnoff feature turned on. Thoughts? Im hoping its covered by warranty.
"gearbox" and "transmission" are used interchangeably these days, though originally "gearbox" only referred to a manual transmission.

If your car is under warranty, this issue would be covered.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Italianfella
Hi there,
I've been having an issue with my A7 TDI
Every so often (and especially when cold) the car jump forward from a stationary position. At times it does it even in one of the other lower gears, but not so "violently".
I just need to slightly press the foot on the accelerator and the car jerks/jump forward making a loud noise as if I hit something.
This evening while parking the car, I put it in reverse and the car did it again; the noise was so loud I thought I hit the car behind..scary moment!
I looked at the dashboard and the "Gearbox malfunction" came up
I turned the car off and on again and the sign disappeared, but this doesn't make me any happier.
It seems to me that in the last couple of weeks the car fuel efficiency has slightly decrease, and my wife is convinced that the car makes a "new/different" noise when driving at speed (like a rhythmic/repetitive sound)
About two weeks ago we have also noticed a little pool of - looked like oil? - right near the bonnet, but I didn't think it was from our car and I have not seen any spill again since.
I took the car to an Audi mechanic to sort out the above issue a couple of months ago and he said he didn't notice anything strange.
He plugged in the computer and things looked ok. Although he saw the coolant was low and said the cap needed replacing it since he found no leaks. I checked today and the coolant level is low again.
I really don't know much about cars and I have no idea if any of the above are linked, but I thought I'd give you the complete picture.
Could someone advise on what might be causing the car jumping?
Many thanks!
I had the same issue and found out my clutches were bad . 1400$ job and all set now!

you can purchase a clutch rebuild kit
Old 02-23-2021, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hi to all, brand new to this forum, !

Iv got an A7 2011 245bhp, my gearbox was broken around 140k,
Inside the gearbox it was found ash and lots of left over from the overheating clutches plate(13 of them) mecatronic dont know to read the index of the them clutches do to that audi software and burn them ( is what i understood)
best company to ask questions is located in Romania București and is called Automatico.ro.
The the one i will recommend for any sort of problems related to automatic gearboxes
Is so bad when it happen something like that and you dont know where to go and find solution..
i do not try to advertise them at all in this chat.. but they are the best in my country. Price for a full with reconditioning mecatronic unite and genuine wv clutches it is around 2400£ and 2 years warranty.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We are having the same issue--2015 Q5 with 48,000. AUDI in Germany cant figure it out! Have spent over 3000 Euros so far and still isn't fixed.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I started getting this (Gearbox malfunction: continue to drive) on my Audi A7 3.0 TDI, after knowing that there was a very slow coolant leak (which started 6 months ago). Maybe both are connected.

I got a friend to find out what error codes are showing and I'm getting a P179C00 apparently.

Took it to Audi who charged me £140 today just to tell me what the error code means. Below their exact words and want to charge over £300 to check the below.

"Warning Lamps - EML on. Gearbox malfunction. Static fault logged with N472 main oil pressure valve electrical fault. Also sporadic fault for clutch to temperature. This fault suggests that low oil pressure may have caused damage to clutches. To test valve N472, the mechatronics needs to be removed"

I fear the worst but seeking advice/solace from fellow drivers here.