A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Vossen

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE the Vossen 5 spokes, mainly #1 & #4. Not loving the Precisions though...too busy or something. looks kinda "spider webish" to me.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I LOVE the Vossen 5 spokes, mainly #1 & #4. Not loving the Precisions though...too busy or something. looks kinda "spider webish" to me.
All of them are precisions, not just the spider ones, the No 1 that you liked is 6 spokes not 5, or which one do you refer to?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike@vossen
Thanks for the love. We are working hard on the new VPS line 19-23" sizes with up to 13" widths, completely built in-house by us!

I think the "dual concave" 20x10.5's look great on the A7!
Which one is the dual concave? And even each distributor sets their own price, what would be the difference in price (in percentage) vs the old line?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
what would be the difference in price (in percentage) vs the old line?
Hmm. The Vossen Precision Series (VPS) are forged vs their "old" lines which are cast wheels.

Forged wheels are stronger and lighter than cast wheels so they call for a higher price point...unless you have Advan (Yokohama) which are cast wheels but extremely light at ~18lbs each. For comparison HRE monoblocks (forged) are ~24lbs each, Volk Racing (forged) ~20lbs each, Vossen Concave Series (cast) ~28lbs each.

It did cross my mind what they will price these at; however, it seems like Vossen may have shot themselves in the foot on MSRP for their new VPS line of wheels due to these factors:
1) Branding: They can't charge HRE prices, since HRE price premium is justified by their branding (brand name). For example, if you wanted Vossen brand wheels you can just pick up their "cheap" cast wheels.
2) Looks: If you want Vossen looks you can again go with their "cheap" cast wheels since they are modeling the VPS line with the same style as their other lines.

Typically wheel companies either do cast wheels or forged wheels. I believe Vossen tried to roll out the Vossen Forged (VF) line about 5 years ago...it didn't sell to well so I believe they stopped production. I wish them luck to succeed this time around!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blow352
Hmm. The Vossen Precision Series (VPS) are forged vs their "old" lines which are cast wheels.

Forged wheels are stronger and lighter than cast wheels so they call for a higher price point...unless you have Advan (Yokohama) which are cast wheels but extremely light at ~18lbs each. For comparison HRE monoblocks (forged) are ~24lbs each, Volk Racing (forged) ~20lbs each, Vossen Concave Series (cast) ~28lbs each.

It did cross my mind what they will price these at; however, it seems like Vossen may have shot themselves in the foot on MSRP for their new VPS line of wheels due to these factors:
1) Branding: They can't charge HRE prices, since HRE price premium is justified by their branding (brand name). For example, if you wanted Vossen brand wheels you can just pick up their "cheap" cast wheels.
2) Looks: If you want Vossen looks you can again go with their "cheap" cast wheels since they are modeling the VPS line with the same style as their other lines.

Typically wheel companies either do cast wheels or forged wheels. I believe Vossen tried to roll out the Vossen Forged (VF) line about 5 years ago...it didn't sell to well so I believe they stopped production. I wish them luck to succeed this time around!
Interesting, I would assume oem wheels are cast?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, I would assume oem wheels are cast?
As of 2013, all Audi OEM wheels are cast except for S8 and R8 models which are forged. My 2013 19" S6 OEM cast wheels are 25lbs/each.

Edit: 19" inch

Last edited by blow352; 05-16-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Banned

As of 2013, all Audi OEM wheels are cast except for S8 and R8 models. My 2013 S6 OEM wheels are 25lbs/each.
so the Vossen concave wheels(CV5) will be around 3 lbs heavier than my OEM A7? (I am just quoting your posts) do you think these +12 lbs of unsprung weight will affect the performance? I have read unsprung weight affects a lot.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so the Vossen concave wheels(CV5) will be around 3 lbs heavier than my OEM A7? (I am just quoting your posts) do you think these +12 lbs of unsprung weight will affect the performance? I have read unsprung weight affects a lot.
Here is a nice post on the M3 forum with tons of pictures of wheel weights. The values I gave are the average per brand:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265756

Lots of things make a difference in wheel weights:
1) Size of wheel (18" vs 19" vs 20" etc.)
2) Width of wheel (8.5" vs 10" etc.)
3) Brand and type of tire (Michellin vs Continental, etc.)

Since so many things affect wheel weight you won't notice a difference up to around 6lbs per corner (24lbs all around). However, you will definitely notice a difference when you run 28lb BBS wheels and then swtich to 20lb Volks. Btw you'll probably get 0.6mi/gallon better gas mileage with the Volk vs BBS...its pretty insignificant.

For everyday driving, wheel weights don't matter. If you are tracking a ton, you want the lightest unsprung weight/rotational mass.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For everyday driving, wheel weights don't matter. If you are tracking a ton, you want the lightest unsprung weight/rotational mass.
I beg to differ. Unsprung weight significantly affects ride quality, which is something you'll appreciate every day you drive your car on normal streets. Conversely, for track use you want the largest, widest wheel/tire combination that will fit. What you lose in acceleration and braking will be more than gained back in increased cornering grip and sharper responses. Of course, a bigger, wider and lighter wheel would be better still, but that combination is harder to achieve at a price mere mortals can afford.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

All of them are precisions, not just the spider ones, the No 1 that you liked is 6 spokes not 5, or which one do you refer to?
Yes, sorry, typo...I meant #'s 3 & 4.