A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

why are there no cars available in Daytona Gray

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why are there no cars available in Daytona Gray

Has anyone seen an A7 in Daytona Gray in person or on a dealer's inventory list? I have searched autotrader and dealers' websites and I haven't seen a single car in this color. All the other colors offered seem to generally be available. I know that Daytona is Prestige only.

These two pics I found on Flickr are the only photos I've seen of a Daytona A7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5616261...7626469788588/

I'll order a car and wait if I have to, but I can see that there are lots of A7s in other colors on dealer lots.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe that Daytona Grey and Havana Black are newer pigments that are manufactured in Japan. The tsunami and earthquake on Eastern Japan impacted delivery of key ingredients and there is not enough stockpiles to satisfy the global market so Audi USA took them off the order system. Hopefully they will return soon as the supply is built back up. Good luck with your hunt and perhaps there are some at the docks or on a ship somewhere USA bound.

Last edited by JerryS4; 05-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryS4
I believe that Daytona Grey and Havana Black are newer pigments that are manufactured in Japan. The tsunami and earthquake on Eastern Japan impacted delivery of key ingredients and there is not enough stockpiles to satisfy the global market so Audi USA took them off the order system. Hopefully they will return soon as the supply is built back up. Good luck with your hunt and perhaps there are some at the docks or on a ship somewhere USA bound.
We ordered datonya gray and was told by the dealer that the factory was having delivery issues with that color and we could either wait for a few months or change. We went with phantom black. No mention of the disaster in Japan, but probably reasonable.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry is correct about the pigment supply. My dealer informed me the day I picked mine up that I might not see many others in my color due to pigment availability. He also said don't wreck it because a body shop would have the same issue getting the paint. Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We ordered ours in Oolong Grey, which must be the European version of Dakota, and were told the same story of Japan. We also ordered dark ash wood trim which again is sourced from Japan, and again is delayed. Our delivery has been put back from September to Feb 2012..........
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by NogginTheNog
We ordered ours in Oolong Grey, which must be the European version of Dakota..........
Nope, Oolong and Dakota are two different color selections.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NogginTheNog
We ordered ours in Oolong Grey, Our delivery has been put back from September to Feb 2012.
I have seen many demo A7 in Oolong Grey that were fully loaded. Perhaps you can grab one of those or one from the docks? That is a complex color that changes depending on angle and light. Would have been my second choice behind the Havana.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oolong looks nothing like dakota. Dakota gray is not gray. It's more of a dark brown /bronzish color.

I think the Dakota would look best with the nougat & beige interiors.

Oolong does look a bit funky in the sunlight. It's got the hologram look and turns a bit purple/blue and other colors.

I like oolong from a distance, but don't like the way it changes colors so much when you're up close.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Daytona Grey - no longer an option?

Tried to order an A7 in the US this week in Daytona Grey. It is listed on the website and in brochures. After waiting a week the dealer called to say that it is no longer being offered in that color. The only way to get it in that color is thought the exclusive paint option and need to pay an extra $2000.00. If informed him that I thought this was false advertising and he agreed and I am waiting to hear back from him as to what to do next. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by farberm
Tried to order an A7 in the US this week in Daytona Grey. It is listed on the website and in brochures. After waiting a week the dealer called to say that it is no longer being offered in that color. The only way to get it in that color is thought the exclusive paint option and need to pay an extra $2000.00. If informed him that I thought this was false advertising and he agreed and I am waiting to hear back from him as to what to do next. Has anyone else had this issue?
I'm surprised the dealer would agree with you on that. I'm sure that all the manufacturers cover themselves with a disclaimer along the lines of all specifications are subject to change without notice.

Quick Reply: why are there no cars available in Daytona Gray