A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 A8 L...Guys, I'd love for you to take a look and give me your opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 A8 L...Guys, I'd love for you to take a look and give me your opinions...

I am FAR from an expert on older A8's. I'm mulling over making a run at purchasing this vehicle. A few questions for you guys:

http://www.roadtripcarolinas.com/web...lle-SC/634410/

How is the Navi in this old fella? The screen looks tiny, and well...it was 2001 so I cant imagine it's very accurate or intuitive. Are there disc upgrades available? If so, what years does it take you to? I'd imagine you cant just pop the '08 United States map disc into it.

I know the pre '07 models have a bit of a shaky reputation (to say the least) in regards to reliabilty and cost of ownership. What would you have your eye on or ask the seller in regards to what parts of car are likely to be in need of near future repair or inspected by a mechanic? It's very low mileage for a 10 year old car, but still...

What's a real ball park cost on yearly maintenance assuming there isn't anything urgent needing repair? In other words, what does an avg oil change cost and what else will probably need to be replaced within next 10-20K miles and what will that set me back?

What are your general thoughts on price? Do you guys really enjoy this vehicle on a daily basis?

Do you think it would be a real bear trying to sell this baby in 3 years with more mileage? Not exactly as easy as throwing a Honda Accord on autotrader I'm sure...pretty niche product.

Thanks so much guys for guiding me through this and taking the time to view the link and lend a helping hand to a novice!

Thomas
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, they're incorrect (lying) about the suggested retail price...should be $12,350-$12,440 and fair private party price should be no more than $10,500...look at Kelly Blue Book online.
It's missing both the lower grills around fog lights ($150 each), which says a lot about the previous owner leaving it that way.

At that mileage, dependability would not be an issue soon...well before mileage of possible trans problem, which is about the most expensive problem you could experience (usually not till 120K miles or so...sometimes much higher).

Timing belt service needed before 100K miles (or maybe 10 years, depending on condition upon inspection)is dealer cost of about $1800 or more like $500 self-service.

Navigation is a set of discs with sections of the country and may not be updatable, because they changed the system on later models. Works with voice commands also and I find it adequate, when I use it.

You won't find many D2 A8 owners who don't love their cars and sing their praises. I have a 2001 with 106K mile and have spent less on this car than past much cheaper cars...still drives like new and the easiest car to drive I've ever been in...also the safest I've ever felt in a car.

Last edited by silverd2; 02-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought(2 months ago) a 2000 A8L and paid $7400. It has 145K so the one you are looking at is really young and looks good. Mine needed a few things diferential seals and tie rod end. Transmissions are vulnerable after 120K. Mine had just been rebuilt as was the TBelt service done in mid 2010.

I love the car. The Tbelt service is important as is the having the tranny service (flushed). I think you'll be due at 75K for that. Other than that, the usual wear items will cost you more on an Audi just because it's at Audi. I'd ask here on the forum for a recommended independent repair shop near you.

For a big car with lots of room and power, you can get great MPG on it if you aren't drag racing at every stop and light. I average 22MPG with very few highway miles. Most of my driving is local. Haven't been on a trip but my wife's 98 A8 same engine, etc, if driven gently will get almost 30MPG on a trip. This is from the computer, but it's pretty close. That doesn't mean driving slow. Our limit is 70 in MI. As long as you gradually get up to 70 and maintain speed with your foot and not the cruise, it's possible.

The price is a little high but with the low miles you may find there are other ready buyers for it. It seems there are a lot of pre 98 A8s around and a lot of 2004 and up, but not many in between.

The NAV is a waste of time. Newer ones are voice activated. Programming locations, etc in it worse than texting on a cell phone without a keyboard. I tried talking to mine but it didn't hear me. Ha! you can get updated disc with street information, but I don't think any voice interface is available for it.

The park assist is annoying, beep beep. I'll be looking for the plug to disconnect it when I get time and it's isn't 10 degrees outside.

There are some things you will never use and I'm amazed Audi built them into the car. Electric adjustable headrest? Give me a break. I haven't adjusted a head rest in the 30 or so years they've put them in cars.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

If you can pay 13k for an 01, add 3k more to get an 04, all around nicer car. Unless I know about the actual history of the car well, I would touch this car.

This one has been on the market for a few months now and it has practically everything and a history through car fax also.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/2196293682.html

10 years old with average of 6.1k miles per year, it should be perfect. Silver D2 is right, real Audi owners would take pride in their cars, even with my old 98 with 170k miles, I would not drive without the fog lamp cover.

Don't care much about navigation, it works but not as good as a $80 portable one these days.

This one should be there for a while with 13k price.

The 04 D3's are dropping in prices.

Good luck,

Louis
Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks guys! I wrote the dealer back with some of those thoughts and concerns...

Let's see what he'll do. I REALLY don't feel like coming out of pocket $1800 for that timing belt service. I had already gone to KBB and noticed he was a couple thousand high. I haven't heard anything negative about the seller, but does he really think anyone isn't going to check that? Maybe I'm missing something? I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That car worth $10K as it sits. I know it has low mileage, but needs T belt and it is 10 years old.