A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 A8 D2 ABS/ASR fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 A8 D2 ABS/ASR fault

Hi all,
Can any of you help with my ASR problem, here is how it all happened;
ABS/ASR/TC is Bosch 5.3 and it doesn't work i.e. no ABS and no TC. The ABS and TC lights on the dash were on for a few months. Then one of the lights stopped coming on, I think it was the T/C light. I think the ABS light continued to come on.(Or it might have been the other way round) Then I got round to having one of the speed sensors changed as VAG Com had logged one as faulty. The ABS light then stopped coming on but when you press the ASR button the T/C light on the dash doesn't come on. So as of today neither the T/C or ABS works now. When my guy put VAG Com on to turn off the service light I asked him to check the ABS/ASR and as I was looking over his shoulder it said quite clearly that it was working!!! I can get the ASR ECU repaired for appx £100. Does this sound familier to any of you? It definately don't work because we've had a bit of snow and ice and slipped, spun and skidded everywhere.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,
I see that you have had quite a winter blast over there...by the way, Malvern Hills looks like a nice area, with lots of open country around. I much prefer to be far from large population centers.
Anyway, failures of the elec module connected to the hydraulic unit under the bonnet are very common on lots of Bosch systems...not as common on A8's, but it does happen. I assume this is the part you're referring to. The ABS hydraulic unit is the main component of ASR (traction control) ...if ABS doesn't work, neither does ASR. Audi dealers always want to replace the entire ABS hydraulic unit, which is virtually NEVER necessary. Most everyone who has had the elec module on the side of the ABS unit repaired have solved their ABS and TC problems...esp after eliminating wheels sensors as the cause.
Sam

P.S. Does the ASR(TC) light come on at all now? ...like when ignition key is on, before starting the engine? If not, the light may have burned out from excessive usage

Last edited by silverd2; 12-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Sam,
Sorry fot the delay in response to your post. Yes we've had a real icy blast. That's how I know that the T/C is not working, the wheels are spinning nicely thankyou. When I turn the ignition on the ABS light comes on briefly, as it should. The T/C light however don't come on. The T/C nor the ABS are working at the moment because in this poor weather I can tell that they are not working.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sam,
In addition, you may be right, maybe the T/C bulb has burned out. The cars T/C is definitely not working though.
Mark
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi All,

I was wrong the T/C is working!!! The bulb has blown. Sam you were correct and I was very wrong. Snow and ice here has got so bad that i can tell that it is controlling the power to the driving wheels (It's FWD) If I hit the ASR button the wheels then spin away merrely and the car goes nowhere. Has any one tried changing a dashboard bulb? Is it a b**ch?

Regards
Mark
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, not as difficult as one might think.

At lower part of instrument cluster (entire oval assembly, speedo, tacho, etc), there are 2 little rectangular "grill" looking covers.

These covers should push off or pry off easily.

Under these are the only 2 bolts (allen) that retain the entire instrument cluster.

Entire cluster will pull straight out, with steering wheel installed, but lowered and extended out of the way as far as possible.

You'll need to snip off locking wire ties that hold wiring to rear of cluster...replace with new ones later.

Release retaining tabs on elec connectors and disconnect.

Cluster comes out completely.

On rear of cluster housing, individual bulbs remove with small screwdriver..turn to left and pull out.

Lights should be available at dealer...other sources maybe(?)

When replacing cluster, put new locking wire ties back in place to hold wiring securely.

All readings on cluster should be retained...odometer, etc.

All this assuming that you should have the same cluster as US/Canada models...should be, with the possible exception of different graphic symbols(?), but should be in the same place...3rows of 4 lights, top 4 are LED's and bottom 2 rows (8 spots) are replaceable bulbs...likely 1 vacant position on bottom row(?).

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by silverd2; 12-22-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Sam,

Merry Christmas,
Thanks for the tips regarding changing the T/C bulb. Sounds like it's worth having a go.
Have you ever replaced the bulbs on the climate control unit, namely the ones for the lcd temp display for both driver and passanger, that could be a challenge.

I've more important things to worry about; the alternator has packed up and I think the fuel pump is giving notice. There has been a whine coming from the boot and the car is now missing really badly when running on petrol (it is coverted to run on LPG, it's missing so badly on petrol that it will not drive anywhere. I'll start a new thread about the possible fuel pump problem.

Have a great new year all
Regards
Mark
Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi Mark,

and a very Merry Christmas to you, too!

Here's a thread that deals with changing bulbs in the climate control head 97-99. Post # 11 sums it up...head comes apart easily to access bulbs, once it's out of the console. A little more involved than instrument cluster, but very doable:

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/show...ol+head&page=2

Sorry to hear about other problems.
The UK is where everyone here in the states orders their replacement pumps...best source to buy the pump separate from entire assembly (pump, housing, level sender, etc....not necessary).
Keep us posted and good luck.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 12-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Climate control bulbs

Thanks Sam,

I'll keep you all posted.

Mark