A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A8 Tranny Problem - Is it junk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 A8 Tranny Problem - Is it junk?

Car has 123k on it. For about 30k miles, the trans has always switched between the torque converter locking / unlocking at slow speeds (30-40mph) when going up any kind of grade, event slight grades. But, other than that, no trans problems. The fix is to move to Tiptronic mode and shift down to 3rd or 4th gear, than the torque converter stays either locked or unlocked.

So, coming home the other day, I slowed from 55 to 35 for a 30 zone. There was a slight grade, and the car began its usual locking / unlocking routine. I used the tiptronic to shift to 3rd, and all was well. Then I began to gradually accelerate, and noticed the tach just revved up - but no acceleration. I moved trans back to "Drive" and tried again. Nothing, but the car slammed into limp home mode and all gear position indicators lit up. I pulled into a plaza and tried restarting car. Putting trans in drive, I attempted to go and the car just revved, did nothing, and abruptly slammed into 4th and all gear positions lit on the dash again. Aside from it being VERY sluggish getting moving, it made it another 15 or 20 miles home.

The next day, it was the same behavior. Previously I had it do something similar to me - although it would initially take off in drive and then slam into limp mode in that case - and the problem was the one of the two electronic trans plugs - I was able to clean and cured the problem for at least 10k miles. Fluid and filter was changed by a very reputable Audi indie probably 5-6k ago.

So, of course I tried cleaning and resetting the plugs (several times) and no dice. Tried clearing non-existent engine codes with my OBDII scanner - no change. The question - is the trans junk? Is it the torque converter? Reverse seems to work fine, by the way.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by troverman

I was able to clean and cured the problem for at least 10k miles. Fluid and filter was changed by a very reputable Audi indie probably 5-6k ago.
Before making any decision, I'd check for clean elec connections again.
If OK, then check atf level...the correct way >> Car dead level, atf at "bath water temp" after just warming from stone cold.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

Nothing could carry less assurance to me than the phrase "very reputable Audi indie". I could write a book of stupid mistakes made by this self appointed group.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, I'll check the fluid level as you specify. Connections are definitely clean / OK. I pulled them off, cleaned, and reset probably 5 times. As for the Audi indie, more specifically he specializes in German car repair and vintage European car restoration. We have used him for 10 years servicing our Benzes or Audis. Before going into business for himself he was a certified Mercedes-Benz Master tech with all the awards and certs clearly visible on his office wall. He is also a one-man shop, so you know exactly who is working on your vehicle. His garage is large and very clean. He is quite meticulous with his work, and charges an expensive but fair rate. His policy is to ONLY use genuine or OEM supplier parts - no aftermarket. Over the years, the constant and ever-changing line of Mercedes-Benzes, Audis, Porsches, BMW's, Rolls-Royces, Bentley's, Jaguars, and even Ferraris serve to inform that most customers seem to be as satisfied as us.

That being said, I'm considering replacing this transmission myself with a used unit. Silverd2, if I may, how many miles on your D2 and have you had any trans problems? Can a '97 transmission be used in our '99, sans the Tiptronic function?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why?

You have been driving on bad torque converter for 30K miles in a car with a crippled driving experience.

Why did you bother changing the fluid and filter 5K miles ago?

Originally Posted by silverd2
Before making any decision, I'd check for clean elec connections again.
If OK, then check atf level...the correct way >> Car dead level, atf at "bath water temp" after just warming from stone cold.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

Nothing could carry less assurance to me than the phrase "very reputable Audi indie". I could write a book of stupid mistakes made by this self appointed group.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The TC issue was basically minor...95% of all driving in the car was unaffected. Driving experience was marginally affected. Not everyone wants to spend big $$ until a problem ultimately becomes serious. There was no cost savings here to address this issue sooner...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The TC issue was basically minor...95% of all driving in the car was unaffected. Driving experience was marginally affected. Not everyone wants to spend big $$ until a problem ultimately becomes serious. There was no cost savings here to address this issue sooner...
Unfortunately you need a rebuild or another good trans. Your clutch A basket is broken.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I've basically concluded the trans is finally gone. Contemplating repairing or just getting rid of the vehicle now. Too bad.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure if 2000 EDG works in 99

but I have one for sale

Yeah, I've basically concluded the trans is finally gone. Contemplating repairing or just getting rid of the vehicle now. Too bad.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So we actually decided to have a remanufactured transmission installed into the A8. Its just too nice a car to just "throw away" despite its age and relatively low value. Car is going into the shop tomorrow.