A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A8 issues looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2000 A8 issues looking for advice

Here's my laundry list. Most are just annoying but maybe some smart guys can ease my pain. 2000 A8L with 160K.

1. purchased car a year ago. Driver headlight went off a few times in weeks after, but "self corrected" by turning off and back on. No problem all through last winter and most of summer. Now, it turns off without rhyme or reason. (hot, cold, rain, etc no affect) Turning lights off and back on, it's fine. It will go for days without turning off, then do it several times in 1 hr, only to be ok for a week or more. (I drive with my lights on all the time, if that makes a difference)

2. Wiper blade skips on down swipe driving a highway speed. Blade is Bosch ICON. Is this an arm or blade issue? Can springs in arm be replaced?

3. Engine miss shortly after cold startup. Runs rough but smooths out within 1-2 minutes. Plugs, vacuum other?

4. Acceleration surge. Spring pressure on gas pedal makes it hard to start out easy from a stop light. It seems there is a point where I press on pedal, then the pedal gets easier and it gets more gas than I intended. Not talking drag race acceleration, just more of a hard start than I wanted.

5. Where exactly can I unplug the parking assist to stop that annoying beeping?

6. Is there a coin holder that fits someplace, like the one i had on my 5000S years ago? My ashtray is overflowing. Worse, I use cig lighter socket to charge my cell phone often. When nothing is in socket, I managed to get penny or dime in the hole and blew the fuse.

7. Is there a way to increase AM radio reception?

8. (last). Most people have said timing chain tensioner clatter for a few seconds on startup is nothing to worry about. Mine only lasts 4-5 seconds but is so loud, it scares me and I'm going to have something done. I've been quoted $1,200 by a local,(good reputation) shop with audi trained mechanics to replace the driver side cam tensioner. (clatter is only on driver side). They said the front end doesn't have to be put in maint position and the driver side is easier cause it's up front.

Does $1,200 sound right? They have done several over the last year and said the chain and sprocket don't have to be replaced. The owner has an A6 with the 4.2 with 300K and continues to live with the clatter. Even though his clatters a bit all the time on rev up, his isn't a loud as mine on start up.

Note, timing belt service was done at 125K. I had thought of waiting and combing labor but shop said it wouldn't save much.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113
Here's my laundry list. Most are just annoying but maybe some smart guys can ease my pain. 2000 A8L with 160K.

1. purchased car a year ago. Driver headlight went off a few times in weeks after, but "self corrected" by turning off and back on. No problem all through last winter and most of summer. Now, it turns off without rhyme or reason. (hot, cold, rain, etc no affect) Turning lights off and back on, it's fine. It will go for days without turning off, then do it several times in 1 hr, only to be ok for a week or more. (I drive with my lights on all the time, if that makes a difference)

Your light switch assembly is showing signs of age.

2. Wiper blade skips on down swipe driving a highway speed. Blade is Bosch ICON. Is this an arm or blade issue? Can springs in arm be replaced?

Yes.. get new arms.

3. Engine miss shortly after cold startup. Runs rough but smooths out within 1-2 minutes. Plugs, vacuum other?

Tuneup time and pray a lifter isn't your problem.

4. Acceleration surge. Spring pressure on gas pedal makes it hard to start out easy from a stop light. It seems there is a point where I press on pedal, then the pedal gets easier and it gets more gas than I intended. Not talking drag race acceleration, just more of a hard start than I wanted.

Something is binding the cable. Could be as simple as needing some lube.. or?

Mine's a 99'.. no backup warning (yippe).

6. Is there a coin holder that fits someplace, like the one i had on my 5000S years ago? My ashtray is overflowing. Worse, I use cig lighter socket to charge my cell phone often. When nothing is in socket, I managed to get penny or dime in the hole and blew the fuse.

7. Is there a way to increase AM radio reception?

If you have a stumpy antenna, locate a longer antenna.

8. (last). Most people have said timing chain tensioner clatter for a few seconds on startup is nothing to worry about. Mine only lasts 4-5 seconds but is so loud, it scares me and I'm going to have something done. I've been quoted $1,200 by a local,(good reputation) shop with audi trained mechanics to replace the driver side cam tensioner. (clatter is only on driver side). They said the front end doesn't have to be put in maint position and the driver side is easier cause it's up front.

When was the last timing belt service? Get it all done at one time so you won't have to be concerned for awhile.

Does $1,200 sound right? They have done several over the last year and said the chain and sprocket don't have to be replaced. The owner has an A6 with the 4.2 with 300K and continues to live with the clatter. Even though his clatters a bit all the time on rev up, his isn't a loud as mine on start up.

I do my own work, if I had to go to a someones shop for service, I would NOT own MY A8.

Note, timing belt service was done at 125K. I had thought of waiting and combing labor but shop said it wouldn't save much.
I'd guess the last time the timing service was done, the other items (including the tensioner)
were by-passed. Get everything replaced this time.

Good luck.. try to locate a retired Audi wrench, maybe he could save you a little $$.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I have the same headlight problem. Mine is either the ballast or ignitor. Mine would happen often for a while but now not as much. After like 5 minutes of running the car, turning them off and on would usually fire them up. Once on, they would stay on.

3. When you say "engine miss" what is it like? Does the engine rev up and down? That is what mine does and cleaning the throttle body has improved it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113

Hi Jim,

5. The "parktronic" module is in the trunk under the CD changer & nav unit, next to the amplifier. It can be unplugged there to disable. There may be another way(?), but the fuse to it controls several other things you need. I personally like mine..thought it was silly at first, but now couldn't live without it.

8. $1200 is bit steep, sounds high from an indy mechanic, but expected from a dealer. They are probably charging full MSRP for the chain tensioner...about $700. Many other sources have it for about $550...same OEM unit.
By the dealer book, they may consider the driver's side easier...but an Indy mechanic (and myself, see link) wouldn't see it that way. I think a good foreign car indy would charge much less, esp if you source the part yourself.
By the way, even a dealer is obligated to install "customer parts" AND guarantee their installation...contrary to what they would have you believe...people do it all over the country all the time..have done it myself when I lacked special equipment or facilities for the repair.

You are probably wise to go ahead and change the tensioner. The pads on them get brittle with age and, as I found recently, my noise maker (passenger's side) finally shattered a pad...had to park the car till I repaired it. Without the pads, the chain quickly eats away the tensioner piston, which would lead to much bigger problems in a short time..bent valves, etc.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/55496.phtml

Last edited by silverd2; 10-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"1. purchased car a year ago. Driver headlight went off a few times in weeks after, but "self corrected" by turning off and back on. No problem all through last winter and most of summer. Now, it turns off without rhyme or reason. (hot, cold, rain, etc no affect) Turning lights off and back on, it's fine. It will go for days without turning off, then do it several times in 1 hr, only to be ok for a week or more. (I drive with my lights on all the time, if that makes a difference)"

I've had this on both sides, one side it was the cables going through the headlight housing. The insulation had been damaged and with moist and salt it had become a mess. The cables would sometimes connect to each other which made the ignitor unit shut off, if I turned on and off again it would be ok until the next time. It would be worse if the weather was "wet" or I passed a bump. This was very hard to find. On the other side it was simply the ignite unit that needed replacing.

"2. Wiper blade skips on down swipe driving a highway speed. Blade is Bosch ICON. Is this an arm or blade issue? Can springs in arm be replaced?"

Not sure I understand correctly what is happening but I've had issues with the arm assy, it had not been lubricated as per the service schedule so all the bearings had been damaged which in turn made the whole thing very noisy and "clattery" as well as not going to its proper down position. I was told I need to replace the full arm assy.