A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 garage door hack - can someone pls post to audipages ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2000 garage door hack - can someone pls post to audipages ?

Here are the additional instructions/tips for installing the garage door opener on a 2000 A8.
All other steps are the same as what you see in audipages. Just substitute/add my comments where appropriate below. Overall, this is a pretty easy project and I think WELL worth the time and minimal expense.

NOTES:

I used a small Genie (non "intellicode") unit which I bought at Home Depot for about $20.
My opener does not support rolling codes so this is the one I needed.

On this particular remote, you can't use a Dremel tool to cutoff the old switch (not enough room). Carefully look for the pins on the bottom and unsolder them. There will be four. Once you do that, follow the rest of the directions as described. Once you connect (solder) the two wires where the switch went you can test it by touching the wires together. The door should open or close depending on the position it is
in currently. You will at least know if you have done this part correctly. I didn't the first time and the red light stayed lit. I must have damaged it while desoldering the switch and had to throw it out. I also tried to hardwire this particular remote as it has a 12v battery. In theory it should have worked but didn't for some reason. I didn't troubleshoot too long though. Not a bid deal as these batteries seem to last a long time.

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS:

1) The switch is different for the 2000's and up. Just ask for the rear sunshade switch for your particular year and you'll be fine.

* You will need to use a dremel tool and cut
away the plastic that surrounds the pins on
the switch OR order the "molex" type
connector that fits the switch itself (might
be easier). I didn't do this because I didn't
know until after I got the switch. Either way
the pins you care about are:

4 & 6 get connected to the switch
3 is ground
1 is power

This is a different pin configuration than
the pre 2000 switches.

2) You can't easily get to the wiring for the other switches in the dash so I just tapped into
the radio wires which are right there. Look down
on the left hand side of the radio. Larger brown wire for ground and purple or blue (I forget) for power. The wiring diagram is right on top of the radio so you can doublecheck.

Last tip - Look carefully at the shape of the switch and put it in the appropriate blank spot. What I mean is that there is a slight rounding on the switch itself (there is a "left" and "right" side). I didn't see this at first and got it stuck in the wrong spot. You'll know what I mean when you see it. That should do it, good luck.

Bob

2000 A8
Old 06-24-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did you pay for the switch?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: how much did you pay for the switch?

$26 from the dealer.