A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A8L Newbie-need Mechanic in Kansas City

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A8L Newbie-need Mechanic in Kansas City

I just bought a 2001 A8L with the RS designation with 114,000 miles. I am in need of a good and reasonable independent mechanic in the K C. area. Silverd2 recommended this sight as a great resource for potential problems. I cannot verify Timing Belt, etc. has been replaced, so I am a little nervous and need it at least checked out or replaced.
Also can someone tell me what the RS designation is versus the straight A8L. The car is incredible and I had no idea what I was missing all these years (although my MB SL was a cool car also). I am envious of all the selfless talented mechanic types on this website and I only wish I had some of your wisdom and talents. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the RS was just a badge the previous owner stuck on. There were S8s that year I believe, which is a high performance version of your car.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtennis
I just bought a 2001 A8L with the RS designation with 114,000 miles. I am in need of a good and reasonable independent mechanic in the K C. area. Silverd2 recommended this sight as a great resource for potential problems. I cannot verify Timing Belt, etc. has been replaced, so I am a little nervous and need it at least checked out or replaced.
Also can someone tell me what the RS designation is versus the straight A8L. The car is incredible and I had no idea what I was missing all these years (although my MB SL was a cool car also). I am envious of all the selfless talented mechanic types on this website and I only wish I had some of your wisdom and talents. Any help is greatly appreciated!

No such animal as an "RS" on any A8/S8 ever sold in any country. There were RS4's made (based on A4) and some RS6's (based on the A6). Someone has just stuck the badge on your car.

Where on the car does it say "RS" ?

There were only 3 versions made in 2001-2003...A8, A8L or S8...if your VIN starts with WAUML, then it's an A8L...period.

Have you tried going to a a dealer to run your VIN for maintenance records...if work was done at any Audi dealer, it will be on record.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a mod (stick on badge) that my car is missing. It would ad at least 5hp
Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Silverd2,
My RS "badge" is not only on my rear but on the drivers side front grill plus my wheels all have the same RS insignia on them---if it was not for the matching wheels I would assume previous owner stuck a badge on the car.
Also, 2,000 miles ago previous owner's records (Indep. shop) show repair of CV driveshaft Left Front-R, Reman CV Drive axle, axle shaft assembly-R&I, Engine or Trans/Transaxle Mount-R&R, Valve cover Gasket-R&R, Upper engine Mount, Nav control panel, Multi-function switch, fuel pump, and mobile oil with pro select filter, and G-12 coolant.
For some reason the mechanic's note on repair sheet said that the Audi dealer will have to reset the service light--he said this model and year was one of the few that dealer has to reset---Based on forum info I hope this is not right. Also mechanic said while replacing the valve cover gaskets that the R/H intake camshaft #3 journal has had a previous repair---what does that mean and what would have happened to cause this kind of repair. I was hoping TB would have been replaced--but no record found.
I also have a very small watery-- pinkish fluid leak (seems to be about center of engine on garage floor---any ideas?
I called (from car fax info) the dealership that sold car at 80,000 miles and they said they erase from their computers after 5 years all service records---bummer!! Is there another national data base that might have it?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Silverd2,
My RS "badge" is not only on my rear but on the drivers side front grill plus my wheels all have the same RS insignia on them---if it was not for the matching wheels I would assume previous owner stuck a badge on the car.
Also, 2,000 miles ago previous owner's records (Indep. shop) show repair of CV driveshaft Left Front-R, Reman CV Drive axle, axle shaft assembly-R&I, Engine or Trans/Transaxle Mount-R&R, Valve cover Gasket-R&R, Upper engine Mount, Nav control panel, Multi-function switch, fuel pump, and mobile oil with pro select filter, and G-12 coolant.
For some reason the mechanic's note on repair sheet said that the Audi dealer will have to reset the service light--he said this model and year was one of the few that dealer has to reset---Based on forum info I hope this is not right. Also mechanic said while replacing the valve cover gaskets that the R/H intake camshaft #3 journal has had a previous repair---what does that mean and what would have happened to cause this kind of repair. I was hoping TB would have been replaced--but no record found.
I also have a very small watery-- pinkish fluid leak (seems to be about center of engine on garage floor---any ideas?
I called (from car fax info) the dealership that sold car at 80,000 miles and they said they erase from their computers after 5 years all service records---bummer!! Is there another national data base that might have it?
Curious if you have original Audi wheels, should look like one of these:

http://www.originalwheels.com/audi-w...a82001rims.php

Many aftermarket companies (eBay's full of em) make the interchangeable center caps. A "delusional" previous owner may have found a set of badges/caps meant for an RS4 or 6 (or to imitate one)...kinda silly...no such thing as an RS8.

Camshaft journals are the polished rotating bearing surfaces that turn in cutouts on the head (white arrows below) and are secured by cam bearing caps (yellow arrow). In the photo, the intake cam is detached and setting out of it's bearing cutouts in the photo, during a recent tensioner repair I did to my engine.

Camshafts are a not a common problem area...don't know whats up with that(?)...new cap replaced, oil starved or contaminated by a broken tensioner part?...or even something damaged by a mechanic in a recent repair..stripped bolt, etc...I dunno.

Pinkish fluid is G12 coolant...check to see if it originates just behind the alternator...if so, probably a leak from a failed coolant pipe between oil cooler (behind alt) and block...cheap, but difficult repair for home mechanic...expensive repair at a dealer (lotsa labor to get to it)...but unfortunately a common problem with higher mileage A8/S8's.

Service reminder should easily reset with this method:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...rvice+reminder

Don't know of any other database for VIN repair info...sorry.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sent you an email.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there local KC D2 owner. If you are looking for a repair shop call Mike at Import Masters. He will get you taken care of.

I have a 2000 A8L with 190K on it and still going strong.

If you have any questions or looking for help just let me know.