A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A8 Partout (Chicago/Milwaukee) 97-03 A8/S8

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission details

Is transmission still available - details? Am awaiting possible bad news on my 2001 S8 transmission that went into limp mode at the weekend.
Email is adwillis@optonline.net
Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default so glad to have my parts car gone

Originally Posted by Sarcastic Brit
Is transmission still available - details? Am awaiting possible bad news on my 2001 S8 transmission that went into limp mode at the weekend.
Thanks
Parting out D2 A8 on this board was a complete waste of time. Other than helping out a one cool guy.

I posted some of my favorites buyer BS months ago but here is the story my
GF can't stop laughing about.

This is an email from a poster on this site.

"I'm curious how much money you've taken in from parting the car out? I have a 1998 that runs, but has the hunting transmission (been running it like that for 60K miles), no heat, no cold air, rotors that need to be turned or replaced, etc. I'm trying to decide between selling it pretty much as is cheap or parting it out. If I sell it cheap, I may be interested in buying a few parts from you like passenger side window regulators for both doors, and the black plastic sail panel covers above the door panels."

so after I pull these flimsy plastic covers and a don't hear back from him I inquire only to get this response.

"I ended up filling the holes in my sail panels with Bondo, sanding, and painting them. They came out pretty good so I don't need those any longer. I can get the rear window regulator from a place in Minnesota for about $60 with free shipping, but still haven't decided if I'm going to repair that or not."

Bondo on thin plastic interior molding?

So he wanted his car to look factory clean but didn't want to spend $10. Not sure how bondo didn't melt the plastic around the edges of the patch, this guy must be a bondo master.
These guys driving around in A8’s with squeaky rotors and clunky tyranny’s where the windows don’t roll down and then there is bondo on the inside of the car.
The oxymoronic of it is what has my GF bring it up as a running joke. I laugh every time. I bet his sails were melted from smoking in the car while driving drunk.

Guys says he needs cats so I pull them and then before we ever discuss price he says he already got his replaced with brand new one. I say "ouch man that must have cost! Why did you do that?" He says, "I found good deal for $399 with labor for both cats. Good luck with that! Couldn’t even explain to him all the ways that is soo wrong. Would you put in a $50 discount made in china windshield ? This guy would. This kind of guy puts 19” on his car for looks and since he can’t afford decent rubber uses totally whacked used tires that are loud and make the car handle worse than if he had stock 17”.

Had a guy show up with the symphony radio locked. Didn’t want to pay the dealership

Why are these dirt bags even driving A8’s
I can only assume it’s the lure of 310Hp with great handling.

But the majority of these guys have all of their control arm bushings shot, worn out shocks and struts and clunky transmissions and ****ty break setups with cheap tires.
I suspect that they bought the car because they saw the movies or heard the street lore but they probably have no idea what the car drives like when it’s new. They have a performance car (only in their mind) Their actual car is limping along busted all to ****.

I wager that at least 1 out of 3 of the D2 owners on here (the ones that have never driven a new A8 and bought there A8 with over 100k on it ) would drive my car and ask me what mods I have.

Q: Hey man your car is so tight, what did you do to get it dialed in like that?

A: Factory Maintenance!
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarcastic Brit
Thanks
I assume you realize that it would take some major work and parts to put an A8 trans into an S8...different front and center differential gear ratios to match your S8 rear end diff.

The actual guts of the trans (gear ratios and all) are identical A8 to S8...just the diff ratios.

You would need to swap out the diffs from your S8 transaxle to make the A8 transaxle work correctly. Otherwise you would need to change your S8 rear diff to an A8 rear diff. You can NOT run these mismatched...just ask anyone who's tried that before.

If you switch all your diffs to A8 in an S8, you will loose nearly all your extra acceleration over a normal A8. Whether S8 owners like to hear it or not, the vast majority of extra "power" in an S8 comes from the gearing...not the relatively small tuning difference of the motor.

An S8 trans and rear end put into a PFL A8 (with no other tuning) has actually yielded consistent sub-6 sec 0-60 times (I've seen this)...faster than the advertised times for a FL S8.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks - that's just what I needed to know.....was not sure of transmission differences and am trying to make replace vs. rebuild decision.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fender molding is the small plastic molding with the chrome insert in it behind the wheel, and forward of the door. (The door molding runs along behind it over both doors, and then another short molding at the quarter panel like the one on front fender.)

I just need the front fender molding on the right side. (Passenger side)

How much for it shipped to 83646 zip code? Meridian, Idaho.