A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Oil cooler gasket leak - little more help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Oil cooler gasket leak - little more help please

I have a 2001 A8L which has the ugly oil leak caused by the gasket between the oil filter/cooler assembly and the engine. I have read & followed the steps highlighted in the forum ( thanks to all who posted in the past). Unfortunately, the leak remained after finishing.

I believe that one of the posts that described the process identified torquing the mounting bolts to 18 ft-lbs. I'm curious if this is my downfall. Will over torquing create too much compressing on the figure 8 ring and cause the leak?

Has anyone used any other type of gasket around the assembly? "Form a gasket" applied around the figure 8 area? Any other suggestions?

This car is SWEET and I hate seeing it just sit in my driveway on ramps...she deserves to be on the road.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure that's the gasket leaking? I've never seen one of these leak.

Did you replace gaskets (o-rings)in the cooler matrix itself while you had it out? ...are you sure the matrix itself is not leaking (breached/failed)?

Also, are you sure the oil pressure switch is not the source of the leak?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced all of the gaskets when I had the assembly removed. There is no evidence of the cooler failing. When I pulled the assembly off the engine, the only location where I could see oil breaching was around the figure 8 gasket.

Little history on the car.... I purchased it about a month ago at an auto auction. The car had the oil leak at that time. When I removed the assembly, the figure 8 gasket did NOT look worn - but again, that location is the only spot where I could see any evidence of oil breaching the assembly. I questioned the torque because the bolts were very tight previously. When I re-installed, I know I put more than 18 ft -lbs on those bolts (old mindset of tighter is better). The leak is not a bad as before but still a continuous slow stream with the motor running.

Originally Posted by silverd2
Are you sure that's the gasket leaking? I've never seen one of these leak.

Did you replace gaskets (o-rings)in the cooler matrix itself while you had it out? ...are you sure the matrix itself is not leaking (breached/failed)?

Also, are you sure the oil pressure switch is not the source of the leak?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

have you changed the oil pressure sending unit? this is a common issue that sometimes appears to be leaking elsewhere.
As I recall it's above the cooler, this could be leaking down on it?

-Richard
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't replace that sensor. It is located more outward (facing away from the engine, near the top center of the assembly)... There hasn't been any oil around the sensor.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any material I could use to "thicken" that figure 8 gasket? As I mentioned before, it was apparent the someone before me replace the figure 8 - the other o-rings under the cooler matrix were older & showed signs of wear but nothing indicated leakage.

Originally Posted by audinutt
have you changed the oil pressure sending unit? this is a common issue that sometimes appears to be leaking elsewhere.
As I recall it's above the cooler, this could be leaking down on it?

-Richard
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Originally Posted by Cricket317
I haven't replace that sensor. It is located more outward (facing away from the engine, near the top center of the assembly)... There hasn't been any oil around the sensor.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any material I could use to "thicken" that figure 8 gasket? As I mentioned before, it was apparent the someone before me replace the figure 8 - the other o-rings under the cooler matrix were older & showed signs of wear but nothing indicated leakage.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the figure 8 seal is not sealing, there has to be something interfering with the correct mating of the cooler to the block....maybe one of the guide rings at a bolt hole.

That seal never leaks unless something else is wrong.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting....I will look this weekend and see if there is anything keeping it from sealing. Worst case, I will get some pictures.

Originally Posted by silverd2
If the figure 8 seal is not sealing, there has to be something interfering with the correct mating of the cooler to the block....maybe one of the guide rings at a bolt hole.

That seal never leaks unless something else is wrong.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got the assembly removed. The cavity is dry so there is no breech from the cooler. When looking at the engine and the assembly, the leak is in the corner where the figure 8 gasket is located.

I've checked all mounting edges of the assembly and there is no obstructions nor rough edges. The figure 8 gasket shows no were but oil was found in the groves.

How do you add pictures to the posting? I took pics as well to show.

Originally Posted by Cricket317
Interesting....I will look this weekend and see if there is anything keeping it from sealing. Worst case, I will get some pictures.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2001 Audi A8 oil leak - pictures

I'm having trouble getting more than one pic...so I will post a couple individual times
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2001 Oil cooler gasket leak - little more help please