A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S8 issue (Paul W come on,Im sure you gotta know the answer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S8 issue (Paul W come on,Im sure you gotta know the answer)

Hi all, I hope someone may be able to steer me in a direction. I have a 2001 S8, The car has about 98000 miles on it, never had a problem. A few months ago, my remote on the key stopped working for no reason, so I grabbed my extra key with remote and it worked fine. Nothing else happened since. Tonight, I came out to the car, it was locked with the factory alarm on, I hit the trunk release, it popped open, I loaded the trunk, closed it, ran into the store and when I came back out and hit the unlock button for the car, nothing happened. So I wound up having to use the key itself to unlock the drivers door manually. When I did that and opened the door, the alarm went off, and I couldnt shut it off using the remote. I put the key in the ignition and started the car, it started up, but the alarm was still honking away. Eventually it stopped beeping, but the flashers were still going, then that stopped. I had to go out, and just came back after 4 hours, but the remote still isnt unlocking and disarming the car. So my guess is one of two things, either the battery in the remote may be bad, or the battery in the car itself may be on its last leg, it still is the original battery from 2001. Does anyone have any thoughts or has seen this before? If it is the car battery, and I get a new one tomorrow, is there anything besides radio codes I need to watch out for when I disconnect and install the new one? Is there any sort of adaption that must be done, or will I be able to just install the new battery and input the radio code and be fine....IF that is whats causing this issue. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. And is there any way to disable the alarm without using the remote? Of course theres nothing in the owners manual about this. Thank you in advance for any help!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely start by replacing the battery in the key fob!! Then go from there if that doesn't work.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Default remotes

Well, heres an update, I installed a new battery in the car, since the old one was the orginal from 2001, and I bought new batteries for both of my remotes, still, theres no remote locking/ unlocking or arming of the alarm. I can use the keys manully to centrally lock and unlock the car from the trunk lock. ANy thoughts?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: remotes

Reprogram or recode new key fobs? Via vagcom?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default program

Try this. First, lock the car with the key from outside of course. Then as you unlock, press and hold the lock button on the remote. That should sync with the car system. Give that a try and let us know.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After you replaced the batteries, where you able to start the car?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: 2001 S8 issue (Paul W come on,Im sure you gotta know the answer)

Hi, I had the EXACT same issue. Audi dealer took my $65 for half an hour and diagnosied it as a bad central locking pump. I went home got new batteries in the remote and via vag programmed the central pump for only remote keyless option, nothing else. can't remember the number, but i think it's 15k something.

Then.. Insert one key in the key cylinder and turn the ignition on, get out and with the other key onlock and lock the truck. The lights will flash to confirm the locking, after this press unlock button on the remote and key should be in sync with the system. For some reason i could not unlock/lock all door via driver side door, only with trunk.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 2001 S8 issue (Paul W come on,Im sure you gotta know the answer)

Hi all thanks for the help, I found that it was two things, one, both of my remotes lost their synch with the immobilizer, and two, the plastic ***** inside the lock cylinder in the door handle broke, thus when I manually turned the key, the microswitch to trip the central locks and immobilzer was not getting activated. If any of you ever has a chance to take the door apart on one of these cars, you will see how well engineered the assembly is....well, um , aside from the cheap plastic peice that broke, but its really easy to work on the way the entire window operating mechanism and frame jsut unbolts from the shell and can be laid to the side, and then the way the door hande comes apart....fuc**ng germans! I commend them!