A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S8 TRANSMISSION FLUID

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S8 TRANSMISSION FLUID

I was getting close to a toll booth, so I slowed down, as soon as I passed the toll, I accelerated but i felt the car unresponsive it felt like it got stuck in 3rd gear, but approx 10 secs later transmission started behaving normal. When I bought the car the service department of the dealer told me that it is not recomended to replace the ATF fluid. I am puzzled now. The vehicle is still under CPO warranty and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions out there? Should I take the car to the dealer and tell them what happened? Or just replace the fluid my self? Next October the CPO warranty is up, and if my tranny has an issue I'd rather have them pay the bill. My car has 60,000 miles and it was the only time I felt this issue. On the other hand in the 2 years that I own the car I only put 6,000 miles on it.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 2001 S8 TRANSMISSION FLUID

Update: After reading the forums in here I found that this is a "common issue" when you hit the brakes and then the accelerator immediately, but nevertheless should I change my ATF fluid or not?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read this article.......and decide.

Everyone on this forum may not agree, but I say, change the ATF fluid and filter every 30-40k. I have a 98 and 99 with 140k and 106k both with good trannies. First fluid/filter change done at around 90k and 94k.
NOTE: Pay close attention on how to refill the tranny fluid. Several tranny's have failed after ATF service, due to improper refill.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">Tranny Service</a></li></ul>
Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Lets vote on it Audi World....

I agree with you.... I used to do that on all my previous cars, but I had a bad experience with a 92 325i. 2 weeks after changing the ATF fluid I had no reverse (at 80k). So now I am scared to go against the dealer, and I am sure if something goes wrong with the tranny they will be able to tell that I changed the fluid hence voiding my warranty.... but on the other hand why AUDI does not recommend ATF changes?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Used fluid analysis

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/124726.phtml">This may help you decide.</a></li></ul>
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Used fluid analysis

So if I change the fluid, and I get a transmission issue I can kiss my CPO warranty good bye. There won't be any wear metals in the fluid above the specification and they will be telling me that the transmission is good or they will realize that I changed the fluid and voided the warranty that way.
I think I should wait until my CPO warranty is up.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is the recommended interval for the S8 tranny fluid?

I would make them change it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is this the 1st time you experience this? It could be for various reasons:

lethargical throttle-response after a slow-down or stop (covered extensively here); you were in Tip mode and had a higher gear in; have a slight hose vacuum somewhere; etc.

I don't think it's likely that the fluid is the issue, it's more likely related to TCM. Keep an eye out and try to replicate the behavior. If not, then you're OK
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What is the recommended interval for the S8 tranny fluid?

The recommended interval is none.... they insist that the fluid is lifetime. But I don't really beleive this. I think lifetime to them is the warranty period. They do not want to replace this fluid under any circumstances. I was told from the service department that even when they have to drop the pan they save the fluid and they put it back in. I am wondering why. Are they so despirate to sell a car with zero maintenance? or are they so despirate to increase the volume of sales of the remanufactured transmissions?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Is this the 1st time you experience this? It could be for various reasons:

Yes Demetri this is the first and only time I experienced this. I tried to replicate the behavior, but it didn't happen again. Hope you are right about the " ....you are ok"
My car has almost 60k miles on it and I think I should change the fluid anyway. I am planning in keeping it for long time so I think it would be wise to change the fluid. Did you ever change it?

Quick Reply: 2001 S8 TRANSMISSION FLUID