A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 a8L test drive results

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 a8L test drive results

Just returned from an extended test drive at my dealer in Princeton, NJ. Indeed the car drives and handles like a much smaller car. Was able to take some back country roads and turns with a great deal of controlled speed. Tested all modes of the suspension, and noticed a decided difference between dynamic, and auto. etc. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. The seats are very comfortable front and rear(had my wife and son in the back seat). Stereo is phenominal for an automobile.

I was able to master the MMI in about 5 minutes, and it allows you to customize and set many functions. The pop-up screen, coupled with the instrument cluster screen was a nice feature. The Nav. was not activated, so have to wait to see it when I pick my car up on Friday.

Basically it is everything I had hoped for. Yes the car will take getting used to due to the size-Im used to a small car. I don't like the shark-fin on the roof, it is large, but holds all the antennas. The dealer is still trying to determine if the XM unit can be retrofitted at the dealership.

I had a choice of 3 car colors-Northern Blue, Siler, and Black. I chose the blue/platinum. I also liked the 19" wheels and asked them to swap them for the 18" on the car now. I didn't feel the massaging/cooling seats were worth the money in the black car-Had them in my Mercedes and felt they were a waste even in the convertible. The $700 for the larger wheels/rims did add to the car's style enough that I am willing to change them in the winter for a set of 17" snows from tire-rack.

The last unanswered question are how aggresive Audi will be with their interest rates. The SM said he was told they wil be very aggresive, but they will not be released until Wednesday afternoon at the Calif. dealers meeting.

It sure looks like Audi did this car right. I have a many, many cars from every manufacturer, and this may be the best blend of sport, luxury, style and comfort I have had yet.

Hope everyone adds their comments (maybe not as long winded as mine!) soon.