A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 audi a8l

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 audi a8l

i am new to the site, and i have had my a8 for 6 weeks, and already have to have a new transmission. bought it at white alen in dayton oh. very upset with this. just a little over 1,000 miles. hope it all works out. please help if you can. thank you.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Sorry to hear that...in general the Audi's I've had have been near bullet proof. That said

I sure have been reading about a lot of engine & transmission problems on the new S4 (not the A8). Not sure if it's "just" the instant access to the info or if Audi is having a statistically higher than normal failure rate.

I've had my current S4 since Sept 1999 and it's been very good but...2 months out of warranty and the water pump went - Audi picked up 80% of the cost. Now, 12 months out of warranty a coolant fitting on the turbo started to leak - Audi is covering 50% of the $1000 bill. That's very high considering the part is $80 but they have to drop the engine to get to the turbo. They gave me an A6 4.2 for a loaner this weekend.

Anyway, not sure this helps. I'm sure AoA will take good care of you.

BTW - I want one of those new A8Ls.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sorry to hear that...in general the Audi's I've had have been near bullet proof. That said

Tells a sad story about my favorite cars, Audi!<ul><li><a href="http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Audi.spy?artid=18561&amp;pg=3">http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Audi.spy?artid=18561&amp;pg=3</a</li></ul>
Old 11-16-2003, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Sorry to hear that...in general the Audi's I've had have been near bullet proof. That said

Egil, what do ya think? I havent seen a review like this since C&amp;D gave its pronouncements a few months ago.

greenie 6625

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 AM

audi has not fully determined what the problem really is, but rather than try to find and fix, just put a new trans in. the new trans. is supposed to be here nov. 21st. until the trans. error, the car has been letter perfect. no mmi problems, do not use the cell phone. it is a great car. thank you for your response.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: 2004 audi a8l

First of all, welcome to the site. There is no doubt that there are issues with this car but most of those are/were relegated to the launch vehicles that were produced prior to July. this car has 125 computers that, no doubt, are talking to one another and once in awhile they must speak a foreign language and all hell breaks loose. The disconcerting part of your problem is that it appears to be mechanical and not a software issue. The good part of this, if any, is that its a new car and you will be covered by AoA. From time to time, you will hear noises that might send your heart into fibrilation but MOST of the time they are normal self-checks etc. Keep a regular check on this board and you will be amazed with the level of expertise and concern that is displayed. There is no doubt in my mind that this board puts the dealer network in second place. Best wishes.

greenie #6625

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-16-2003, 05:46 AM

my name is ross, my vin # is 6749. around 1,100 miles on the way home frpom work the car felt like it was taking off in a gear other than first. the gear indicator in between speedo, and tack was all solid, not showing what gear it was in. looking through the manuel, it said that when something like this happens, it automaticly goes to third gear. took the car in, and at first they said oxegen sensor, then called me friday and said audi want's to put a new trans. in. called my rep. mike desantis, pitched a fit, to no avail. it is funny, it did this twice, and after that i drove around a 100 miles before i took the car in, and it never did it again.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You say Mike "pitched a fit"? Ross, could you explain this?

greenie #6625

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-16-2003, 06:14 AM

Default Cars today can be interesting...this reminds me of my neighbors

Boxster S. At about 13k miles his check engine light came on...took it to the dealer and they said they were going to replace the engine. Which they did under warranty.

I teased him that Porsche doesn't have a "Check Engine" light but a "Replace Engine" light.

BTW, Welcome to AW.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With the exception of the JD Power and Associates stats (which are dead on accurate)

This Trevor Hoffman guy sounds like a whining bull**** artist, just like C&amp;D. No automotive journalists other than this Trevor Hoffman dumbass and those dumbasses C&amp;D have whined and bitched so much about the new A8.

Quick Reply: 2004 audi a8l