A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 audi a8l

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a surprise

While we all love these cars, they are extraordinary in their complexity, and Audi is not that great at electronic systems integration. However, if it turns out to be pure mechanical that would be somewhat surprising, although I would bet it is electronic in some for or another, as the computers determine how the trans behaves.

My 2000 A8L has more electronic mood swings than my 3 small children combined. If anyone has spent time using VAG-Com, then it easy to know how immature our dear engineers at Audi are at total systems integration. I've seen first year computer science students that have a more organized approach to memory and stack trace data and formating than Audi's engineers do.

The cars wreek of lots of technical departments trying to create their own tour de force implementation that communicates to other implementations via standard interfaces, but no one really knows what the standard interfaces really do!

My car has so many intermittent brain farts, that I no longer take the electronics seriously.

It is no wonder that most tech's at Audi dealers cannot diagnose, not to mention actually repair the things that are broken in these cars. If you've ever seen a VAG device that the techs use, it gives no meaningful information, or if there is something there, you have to interpret what the software "really means"...
Old 11-16-2003, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Words of advice to VW/Audi

Improve your goddamn VAG-com system by a 1000x! And hire a whole lot of engineers that are worlds smarter and worlds more qualified to work on all of todays very complex cars. No wonder Audi's JD Power and Associates ratings suck. Too many retarted engineers. Get a ****ing clue! Fire all of your dumbass engineers! And use far superior electronics, technology, yada yada yada for your VAG-com! And move your goddamn asses! It is far easier than you think! Jeesh!
Old 11-16-2003, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Words of advice to VW/Audi

Ouch 2tonic but you are probably right!!

greenie 6625

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-16-2003, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I find the D2 A8 to be very advanced

I'm always surprised how easy it is to troubleshoot with VAG-COM, the thing tells you exactly what is wrong with it. That combined with the Bently, is really advanced.

The 04 should be a lot easier with the new computer system, and no, I don't think it's that hard. If I can put together audipages.com from scratch and never knowing HTML before, I think the 04 A8L should be able to be troubleshot pretty easily.

pw
Old 11-16-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Re: 2004 audi a8l

Saralee, I'm the happy owner of a new A-8. My second one. My first one #1971 was plagued by electrical demons, however the first problem was the transmission which was replaced at 1000 miles. Audi field general agreed to add miles onto my warantee. Ultimately, they just couldn't get the car to function reliably.
Keep detailed records of EVERYTHING that happens to your auto. Record dates and milage. Never leave service without a receipt of sorts. I believe this helped me get a new auto. I drove the car with the new tranny about 2500 miles before Audi swapped it. No doubt about it- my new car rides like it is supposed to. The tranny replacenment did not do the job. Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Sorry to hear that...in general the Audi's I've had have been near bullet proof. That said

he did not pitch a fit, i did. understand i want no other car. this is to me one of the best cars i have ever seen, or been involved with. yes i am dissapointed, but i still love this car and would not have any other. audi did the job right. with the limited production of this car i do not feel this should have ever been an isue. but it is, and i will live with it, and i would still buy another a8. i am just freeked out. i am just looking for some help on what to do. i truley hope everything works out. thank you all for your input.