A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 AUDI A8L MAJOR PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 AUDI A8L MAJOR PROBLEMS

I recently purchased a brand new 2004 A8L and am very displeased. First off, DO NOT BUY THE AUDI V60 PHONE! This phone does not work and barely gets good reception. It is very NON-User friendly. I can not believe they put a cheap (and discontinued phone-according to Motorola)in a $75,000 car with this many problems. Also, forget about getting insurance on the phone too. They will only insure you for a standard V60 phone which will not work in your car anyway. I am very aggravated with the service I received from my dealer and Audi USA. They will not fess up to the fact they have major problems with their V60 interface. Best of all, the dealers are not even trained yet for fixing these problems (at least my dealer). Hold off on the phone, and see your local cell phone provider. You are better off putting an aftermarket hands free kit in (with a much cheaper and better phone!).
Old 11-05-2003, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Where have you been? Doesn't sound like major problems to me

The V60 phone issue has been discussed in such detail here that we know more about it than Audi. Too bad you didn't find us first.

Any other problems? If that's it, doesn't sound like anything that you couldn't solve with an aftermarket phone and hands free kit.

pw
Old 11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2004 AUDI A8L MAJOR PROBLEMS

Welcome to the forum! Did you come up with that name "Audistinks" yourself or did you get help from BMW!! LOL. This subject has been the topic of conversation for months now and while I do not know the ins and outs of the problem, many who post here do. I suggest that you go back a few pages and read! Settle down and enjoy the car. Where are you located and tell us about the car i.e. color choices, equipment etc. Ill bettcha once you resolve this phone issue, youll be livin` life large in this car. Dare I suggest a name change???? BTW, Im using two tin cans and a string but for some reason the reception isnt that good. Maybe its because I have both cans!! LOL

greenie 6625(vin #)

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-05-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Where have you been? Doesn't sound like major problems to me

I guess Audi still has a lot to learn about selling a Luxury ($75,000) car. This post and the one below about Audi versus Lexus customer service confirm Audi does not understand what it takes to create a loyal following in the luxury car market.

I am sorry, but for what they charge for the phone, they should make sure it is top notch, in an otherwise great car.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree, I know the engineers are genusis' at Audi - how'd they miss the mark?

I take their cars apart, can't believe how they are engineered, the quality and how they go back together.

How the heck did they miss the mark on the phone? That is one that is hard to believe. I would think a simple code change to the MMI could get it to integrate.

Or at least they could tell the dealers it doesn't work so the customers don't get screwed.

I guess it was the all caps and plural of problems that I didn't understand.

pw
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Where have you been? Doesn't sound like major problems to me

You are probably right. Hopefully the introduction of the new A8L will move them along the way to that end.

greenie 6625

04 A8L silver/sabre..heated car(great for winter)!
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You mean the other guy has to have the other can? Now I know my problem, thanks!
Old 11-05-2003, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: You mean the other guy has to have the other can? Now I know my problem, thanks!

Paul, you of all people!!!!! LOL

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 11-05-2003, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Blame Motorola...

I bet Motorola has a key part in how these phones work. I can also bet that they did not have the time/expense/know-how to make their phone integrate with the MMI in time for the A8L launch. You look at some of the phones from Samsung, Sony, Nokia, and LG and they simply perform and have more functions that anything that comes out of Motorola.

Audi should have dumped Motorola but it appears all the German cars use it.

I don't think we can really blame Audi for this other than that they went with the wrong supplier and against their own slogan: NEVER FOLLOW.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 2004 AUDI A8L MAJOR PROBLEMS

The phone was only the first part! Wait till you hear this!
The next major problem (and there are others!) is my ongoing feud with Audi and my dealer. When I was sold the car, the salesman went over every aspect of the car. This included the storage bin (as described in the manual) in the front dash near the MMI system. I was told by the salesman that the storage holder can be used for change also and that no one puts cards in that tray bin anyway. (I do not see how anyone puts cards in that tray with a hump in the middle!) Well after about 3 weeks, my MMI navigation screen stops working by not opening or closing. I bring it to the dealer who tells me I will need a gear replaced because a quarter fell from the storage holder inside and fell behind the MMI screen. This caused it to be damaged. Guess what's next. The dealer and my Audi Advocate who was assigned to me state that I am responsible for the damage and the cost to replace would be the entire cost of the MMI system. This little cost would be $1300.00!!!!! I refused to pay and am currently fighting with Audi, my advocate and the dealer. I still have it broke and refuse to pay any more money on top of a $75,000 car with a crap phone system. I am a previous owner of BMW's and you would have never seen a problem like this with the dealer or the manufacturer. Bad Design and bad customer service. Plus, the dealer did not even know how to fix the MMI system. They had to call someone from Audi to figure out how to take the MMI screen out! I am sorry I bought this car. It does drive nice, but with these problems it ain't worth it. Should have stuck with Bimmer! Don't make the same mistake as I did. I am curious to see the responses. You would never find a BMW forum with this many complaints!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2004 AUDI A8L MAJOR PROBLEMS