A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2L overheated

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I second Homegrown-MN on the coolant fill procedure. I did the same recently, and no issues after doing cam chain tensioners and thermostat. This is the second thermostat in 30k miles, and should have lasted longer. The one I just replaced ran about the half-way mark on the gauge from day one, it was a 192F (88C) Motorad not-so-Premium. I was starting to see temps creeping up to the 3/4 mark in the past few months, and was not happy about it. So I replaced it with a 82C Mahle/Clevite off RockAuto. The temp is holding at the 1/3 mark, nice and steady.
The clutch fan will be stiff at cold start, make some noise for about 5 seconds and quiet down. You will see it freewheeling in there and be able to easily stop it with your hand. When it gets hot, the viscous coupling kicks in and tightens around the fan making it turn harder to cool. The electric fan should kick on with the A/C and at higher temps (not sure what temp though).
On the note of leaving stuff in the engine, during my cam tensioner repair, I misplaced my 3/8 ratchet which isn't really that small. I even took off one of the valve covers thinking I might have left it under there somehow. lol! I found later on my test drive inside the car.
The following users liked this post:
vicsvinyl (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Number48
I second Homegrown-MN on the coolant fill procedure. I did the same recently, and no issues after doing cam chain tensioners and thermostat. This is the second thermostat in 30k miles, and should have lasted longer. The one I just replaced ran about the half-way mark on the gauge from day one, it was a 192F (88C) Motorad not-so-Premium. I was starting to see temps creeping up to the 3/4 mark in the past few months, and was not happy about it. So I replaced it with a 82C Mahle/Clevite off RockAuto. The temp is holding at the 1/3 mark, nice and steady.
The clutch fan will be stiff at cold start, make some noise for about 5 seconds and quiet down. You will see it freewheeling in there and be able to easily stop it with your hand. When it gets hot, the viscous coupling kicks in and tightens around the fan making it turn harder to cool. The electric fan should kick on with the A/C and at higher temps (not sure what temp though).
On the note of leaving stuff in the engine, during my cam tensioner repair, I misplaced my 3/8 ratchet which isn't really that small. I even took off one of the valve covers thinking I might have left it under there somehow. lol! I found later on my test drive inside the car.
I had it trailered $125 (not bad) 40 miles to a non dealer pro that specializes in vw and audi. He has the equipment and knowhow. He's doing the tranny to. No word yet but will posy when I know. First machine that ever beat me, depressing.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default update

Originally Posted by Dr. A8
Any updates? I hope you got it figured out.
new engine with 12k miles, new trans 148k miles.
Had combustion gas in coolant so cracked head not gasket.
Fuel pump ok ran it nearly empty no shut down.
So my $250 audi is now $6000 and I ain't done yet/ rear main suport need replacement.
Goes like a bat outa hell though.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took heads off old overheter/ looks like delaminated head gaskets were only thing wrong.