A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A8 after market alarm/remote starter installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 A8 after market alarm/remote starter installation

Hello all.

I'm new to this forum. I have a 1997 A8 Quatrro 4.2 that I am going to attempt installing an aftermarket alarm/remote start system in this weekend. I used to install car alarms and sound systems way back in the day, but have not done anything like this lately. I would have had the place where I purchased the alarm install it, but they sounded very unsure about attempting the installation in an audi themselves! I didn't want to chance them destroying something or botching up the installation, so I purchased a color code/installation Cd from ebay, and I acquired the wireing diagrams from the factory service manual. Armed with this info, I feel pretty confident I should be able to install the system.

I was just wondering if anyone has attempted an alarm installation on this car before, and if so, can you provide any tips, cautions, warnings, ect. Also I wanted to be able to operate the automatic power window feature that is built into this car with the alarm remote. I was told that I shouldn't need an additional module since the feature is built into the car already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am pretty sure that you can program the automatic window features

with your current remote using VagCom. Since it's 1997 you should have no problem install remote starter system. I know someone here already done so.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default easy one

this should be simple, take the door lock and unlock wires and all you need to do is give them a longer pulse to move the windows. On some alarms you will have aux outputs that you can program duration. Take the one aux out and the lock wire diode them together to the cars lock wire, in your car brown/yellow in the drivers kick, program the the aux for as long as it takes to close your windows and you are done. The unlock is the brown/red but you need to program the alarm to double pulse to unlock and program the aux to as long as it takes to roll down the windows. this is just one way to do it it all depends on the alarm you are installing. It is easy on vw/audis to do comfort close, actually all you are doing is extending the lock/unlock pulse. I hope I didnt confuse you, any ? just ask, I have been in this industry (car audio)for 18 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: easy one

OK that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up! I spent most of the day Sat. tracing wires before I started the actual install, but got stuck trying to track down the dome light wire. In the process seems like I shorted out the front dome light by trying to find that damn dome light wire. When I put the assembly back together the dome light worked intermitently then stopped working. Seems like it had something to do with the aluminum frame the assembly snaps into in the roof. Mine seems a bit deformed.

I purchased a "remote/alarm wire location/installation" CD from ebay which didn't help much. I found that some wire colors they indicated was wrong, and some wire colors are just not in the harness in the driver kick panel as stated on the CD.

Also trying to find the tach wire, is it Ok to tap into one of the coil packs in the engine compartment?

PS the unit is a Audiovox Prestige remote start/alarm.

Thanks so much!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: easy one

usually we do get the tach wire under the hood,it will be the uncommon wire color, meaning all the coils will have one color the same, but i bet it can be found behind the cluster too. I am not at work for the rest of the week b/c my wife is having a baby tomorrow. if i sneak by the shop this week i will look it up and let you know what my wire database comes up with. no worries the audiovox is a very reliable system, we use to carry it and had very few problems with them. the upper models have programable outputs. i havent put one in my car yet as it is always hard to find the time for my own stuff, it always works out like that. we just got in the new code alarm srt9000 it is a 2way w/color screen and 1 mile range, remote start and everything you can imagine.

Pat
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 97 A8 after market alarm/remote starter installation

Still pecking away at my remote start/alarm installation. I don't get much time to work on it during the week, and too busy doing house stuff on the weekends, so it's one feature at a time.
I connected the window close feature (channel 4)to the door lock/unlock wires (2 wire config). Unfortunately I can only get one of the features going at a time, it's either roll up on lock command or roll down on unlock command. Seems like I woudl have to use a seperate channel to control the 2nd command, however, on my unit, no other channel has the ability to be programed with a longer than 3.5 sec. pulse duration. is there any other way of doing this without having to use a seperate channel?

Also still struggling to find the door trigger and trunk trigger wires in the driver kick panel???? Wire colors indicated by the info I purchased on ebay just is not there????
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 97 A8 after market alarm/remote starter installation

no there is no way to do them independently. the car needs to see the lock pulse to roll up the windows and an unlock pulse to roll them down. thats part of the car you cant change that w/o adding window modules. There is a small delay of maybe 1.5 sec before anything happens to the windows, the problem with that is if the alarm only can do 3.5 sec per output then you are only really getting 2 sec for the windows to do anything. it also shows that you need a double pulse unlock.

now the door trigger is a different story, on my car each door has a light in the foot wells that work independently, one of the tech info sites that i use shows on the 97 brn/purple at the under dash light. the other shows brn/yellow at the pump in the trunk. and to further confuse you another shows in 2000 which should be 4 different wires,in this case you would have to diode them together.that makes sense if yours works like my car does.

i would imagine they can all be found at the keyless/alarm module too. I haven't looked for mine but i bet it is in the trunk on the drivers side, but then again vws of that year have them under the drivers side dash. you should find the horn wire and parking lights and hood and trunk pin wires there too. Heck you should be able to find all the "alarm" wires there and just go elsewhere for the start part of it.

speaking of which did you find the tach wire? I show black at the injector or green/blue at the ignition coil mod. now keep in mind I haven't done any of these things to my car yet so I am just going on what my tech notes tell me. even if I did do these to my car it is an 03 so the wires and modules may be in totally different spots and work differently too.

Just bring the car over and I will do it/ show you. of course I am in vacaville california and that may be too far to drive for this. I would agree the most shops are afraid of odd cars like ours because you don't work on them everyday, but all cars have wires and they all work the same. just be glad you don't have an 07 chevy truck those SUCK!! even changing out the deck you need $300 in parts.
let me know if you need more help
Pat