A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 128kw Automatic gearbox change

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 128kw Automatic gearbox change

greeting to all A8 wonderful owners.

i bought an a8 d2 128kw v6 with automatic trans. yesterday and it need transmission change..
Thing is, i even dont know where to start, i drained all the fluid from transmission, and it was UGLY brown with lot of metallic particles.

Last car was 1991 v8 and i'v done transmission change on that thing, that was easy..

but A8 is new to me, and i want to do it good.

Got all the tools but i just have not done it before on A8

Is there any diy sites how to remove it or is anyone so kind to write some tips to this thread ?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on your year car, AWD or FWD it could be different trans...the procedure is about the same on all...just different capacities of atf.

If want to do it right, pull off the pan (clean it) and change filter too. Putting new fluid in will just further clog an old (already clogged) filter..new fluid detergents will break loose deposits and send them straight to the filter. Not changing the filter really makes a fluid change useless...actually could make it worse. It is also essential to use the correct filter for that specific trans (exact model..different versions were made).

V6 A8 was never sold in the states, so if you have front wheel drive, it's probably a ZF 5HP19 trans. If AWD, it probably a ZF 5HP24A:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...ars/5HP24A.pdf

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...cars/5HP19.pdf
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats great info

It's fwd

i have managed to make progress.. front axles off, some transmission bolts loose alreadi, only 1 bolt from top is holding, jacked the engine from behind, removed front hmm.. that H beam or what is it called, where engine and transmission stands on, loosened exhausts from manifolds, now have to remove them from below, but some bolts are dam too rusty

a friend of my'n brings tomorrow floorjack, so it helps our progress alot..

turbine is also disconnected from motor (removed 3 bolts thru starter hole..

so i think box will be removed tomorrow

Last edited by RKsilver; 01-19-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I misunderstood...thought you were just changing fluid. The "H-beam" is the "sub frame". That's quite an undertaking without worship manual...I wouldn't attempt it myself without it, but past experience should help you.
"Turbine" I assume you mean the torque converter...so I guess you discovered how to access the bolts through the starter (after removed) that hold the TC to the engine drive plate.
If you are doing this completely without a manual or web tutorials, might want to check back here before pulling it out, to make sure you disconnected everything properly. I haven't see an online tutorial on removing/replacing FWD trans (may be out there?), just this one for the AWD version:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...vereplace.html

What year is your car? The 97-99 U.S. A8 was available in FWD and had that trans.
I haven't pulled a trans on an A8, just have a manual with the removal and replacement steps.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's 95 year vehicle, i am using same tool as in that picture, from your link, what holds the engine..

Yes, i meant Torque converter, i'm sorry

Well.. wish me luck, it's a new day, and transmission waits to be lifted off :P

all i still have to do, is remove all electrical from transmission and thats all.

Car it'self is bretty nice to, pearl white, chrome mirror covering, electrical seats, mirrors, all windows, and a lot more, but last owner fitted aftermarket radio, i bought original wide gamma radio but i cant seem to find any wiring scematics for that, there are 3 connectors, but i must find what pin goes where.. or find that car's repair manual.. and in Estonia, it's hard to get

Thanks

Last edited by RKsilver; 01-20-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okei, transmission is removed nice and smooth, but what gearbox-es will fit to that car from other models ?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A little hard to say, with a model that wasn't sold in the states...at least not that year with the A8 badge. Post the info on the metal label...on the bottom, just ahead of the atf pan.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

it's ZF 4hp18 CMK
Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A lot of cars used the 4HP18 trans, but with different letters following that designation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_4HP18_transmission

CMK was apparently not sold in the US...I only get mostly Eastern European websites with those letters. So, I'm afraid I don't know which are interchangable with yours. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

okay, i changed gearbox.. but it's stuck in first gear, does not give any fault codes .. any idea what am i dealing with ?

i have all the old transmission parts in hand, also valvebody..

Originalli it was 4hp18 CMN i think, 4wd gearbox, and i replaced that final gear, (on 4wd it was longer and i could not put fwd rear cover on), everything was put together great. i have tearen down these gearboxes before, no science fiction

or is there really valvebody difference or is it electrical issue, my friend tells its electical and it wants more info from abs?

Last edited by RKsilver; 01-22-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: A8 128kw Automatic gearbox change