A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.2 Quottro D2 1995 Genuine 125KM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 4.2 Quottro D2 1995 Genuine 125KM

Hello everyone, have just fitted new tyres all round, and asked for alignment to be done at same time, seemed as though fronts were being unduly scrubbed/worn, techies told me that the front right Tie Rod was gone and left was on its way, if I fix them they will then do alignment after. Not being cash flushed, I settled for After Market parts, must admit they were what I considered Cheap approx. 30USD, and considering the old Girl only comes out on weekend and occasional 2/3 hour trip, would probably outlive me, anyway, fitted to both left and right , put about 50KM on the Clock and took it back to Alignment Centre , the Techie then told me that I had the same problem as before, (Different Techie) too much movement, had I fitted genuine Audi Parts because they have a Plastic/Rubber insert in female thread to absorb some of the road shock. I didn't notice this in original T/R ends which I diligently disposed of, Local Audi Dealer, doesn't have stock, has to order from Head Office ( Johannsberg ) I'm in Cape Town. So don't Know if this is so, and find it hard to believe that 50km would destroy even the worst A/M parts, hense my Question, do I need parts with Plastic/Rubber insert, as an aside, checking my Bentley Repair Manual to see if the inner T/R may be the problem, I see there is adjustment that can be done on the actutal Steering Rack itself, haven't got back to the point where I get the wheels off again, and wondered if you Gurus out there had any input on the problem, have found an Audi/ VW A/M supplier of guaranteed A/M parts priced at double of what I paid but 33% of what Audi Parts charge. you're valuable Input is appreciated Guys.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ceaser
Hello everyone, have just fitted new tyres all round, and asked for alignment to be done at same time, seemed as though fronts were being unduly scrubbed/worn, techies told me that the front right Tie Rod was gone and left was on its way, if I fix them they will then do alignment after. Not being cash flushed, I settled for After Market parts, must admit they were what I considered Cheap approx. 30USD, and considering the old Girl only comes out on weekend and occasional 2/3 hour trip, would probably outlive me, anyway, fitted to both left and right , put about 50KM on the Clock and took it back to Alignment Centre , the Techie then told me that I had the same problem as before, (Different Techie) too much movement, had I fitted genuine Audi Parts because they have a Plastic/Rubber insert in female thread to absorb some of the road shock. I didn't notice this in original T/R ends which I diligently disposed of, Local Audi Dealer, doesn't have stock, has to order from Head Office ( Johannsberg ) I'm in Cape Town. So don't Know if this is so, and find it hard to believe that 50km would destroy even the worst A/M parts, hense my Question, do I need parts with Plastic/Rubber insert, as an aside, checking my Bentley Repair Manual to see if the inner T/R may be the problem, I see there is adjustment that can be done on the actutal Steering Rack itself, haven't got back to the point where I get the wheels off again, and wondered if you Gurus out there had any input on the problem, have found an Audi/ VW A/M supplier of guaranteed A/M parts priced at double of what I paid but 33% of what Audi Parts charge. you're valuable Input is appreciated Guys.
It would help if you formatted just a little bit. Your paragraph is pretty hard to get through. I suspect that your tie rods are fine and this is just something that the mechanics have been trained to say. Easy to sell and easy to install at a high markup. I always double check a diagnosis if I bring a car to a mechanic. Most of the time they are full of crap and lying through their teeth.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this doesn’t help you but I have one word for you: BRAVO!
Old 01-22-2020, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ceaser

Formatted, not with you ??. The techie involved has nothing to do with either the sale of new parts or the fitting of same , in both cases 2 diff techies, I saw with my own eyes and personally with car on the hoist, felt/saw the movement on the total Rod, and wheel move at least 3/4 inch 15/17mm back and fore, or side to side if you wish, and incidentally, this is being done by a National Company at no extra cost.