A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Reliability

For those of you that have stated that Audi is "new" to the luxury car segment, simply do not know the car makers history. Audi may be new to US owners, yet Audi has always been considered a worthy rival of Mercedes and BMW. Now a word about the reliability of the A8. True it could be "more" reliable and perhaps hold it's residual value better, yet it could also be a bloody lexus! And thank God that it is not. BMW and Mercedes have their fair share of problems, some minor and some serious. Yet a car in this segment will have problems period. The more complicated the vehicle, the greater the risks! If you wish to lead with innovative technology and advancements, it means you will also run the risk of introducing greater system failures. As a former owner of a Range Rover (I have had 2) and BMW (1-740i) I can say without hesitation that the A8 has been well worth it's headaches....Do I wish it was as reliable as a Lexus? sometimes, yes, Do I wish I had a Lexus, NEVER!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Extremely well said, ultradub

I'm glad somebody knows all of the facts about cars in general and Audis in particular. Your post, without a doubt, is the most intelligent I have ever seen. I have also stated several times before that all German cars have the same mostly minor but some significant problems and the same occurance of them. I have also stated several times before that overall, the reliability of all German cars (including Audi), while not quite up to snuff with Toyota, Nissan and Honda, is the same as or better than all other cars out there. I have to say though, there are a lot more people on here who know all of the facts about any car (be it Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc.) than people on BMW Roadfly. On there, there are a large number of people who are tremendously knowledgeable about BMW's but know very little or nothing about most or all other cars. That is one of the many reasons why AudiWorld is a so much more pleasant board to communicate on than BMW Roadfly.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:13 PM

Default Touche Sir 2Tonic

Thank Tim, and I agree with you on this matter. And certainly the simplicity of a Toyota and Honda can never be compared to a vehcile of Audi's caliber. And the reality remains, that BMW owners are primarily comprised of status seekers, not all, yet many are.... Audi owners in general, are true car enthusiast, and therefore we tend to be far more meticulous, and far more discriminating. And thus, we have far more to complain about, with or withour merit. I certainly hope Audi corrects any and all engineering flaws, yet we have to remember that the ressurection of the Audi brand is relatively young and it will take some time before reliability becomes synonymous with the Audi brand.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Re: A8 Reliability

My last 7 cars have all been Ford's piece of #### never again. When my company offered to buy me a car I jumped at the chance. Now, I have had a few problems with the audi but they are just anoyances. Every time I have called the dealership they have been very helpful and actually fixed the problem. They even pick my car up at work so I don't have to take it in. This is impressive since I am 100 miles from the nearest dealer. Over the time that we have had the car we have come to the conclusion that the car is built like a tank. The real difference is AUDI back their cars up. I can sum up the difference in American car mentality and German. I was sitting at dinner with a executive from FORD a few months back and we were talking about my choice of cars and I was telling him my story of my SHO and his response was that I had gotten 75000 miles out of my car and that was pretty good. I think not.

Brent
Old 11-05-2002, 02:35 PM

Default I'm not sure I agree...

Yes, it is true that the Lexus and Audi certainly drive extremely differently, and that the AUdi is a far more sporting machine. Certainly, the Audi/BMW/MB tend to be more "involved" w/gadgets, etc... but oftentimes the things that go wrong aren't the techo-wizardry--- It's the posts on this board about the power seats, the remote locks, battery drains, premature brake warping- all things that are found in ALL CARS, not just in audi's. Why can't audi make sure that the things that have been around forever don't go wrong... I think most of us can accept a glitch with a new integrated navigation/control system, massaging seat (things that are new and less proven), etc. But the 2001 Audi I'm considering with 18K miles has already had twelve visits to the dealer for remote entry problems, replacement of the central locking pump, several "check engine" warnings, battery death, etc... are these the result of having a car that drvies well? Does a car that drives well have to have these problems??? I don't think these problems are defensible, and certainly should be eliminated. After all, we pay a premium for the Audi/BMW/MB. Shouldn't that premium include reliability?
Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM

Default You are misusing the info on this site

You cannot extrapolate reliability of these or any other vehicle from a site like this filled with passionate owners. The slightest annoyances can be expounded upon here to no end even without giving a dealer a chance to look at it. On the other hand serious problems can go without comment because that is what the owner wishes or worse, the community is such that complaints arent tolerated (not the case here).

If the service record of the A8 you are considering indicates what you listed though, I would reconsider the purchase and certainly question having anything to do with the dealer who serviced it. In my opinion that car was either a problem child or has been serviced by incompetents (I am sorry to say there are too many of them wearing Audi shirts), either of which does not bode well for a problem free future.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That just slays me. I know many domestic car owners

who still think 100,000 miles is a big deal. Having seen those trade-ins, I'd have to say that it is rare for true domestics to exceed that number in rude health. Part of it may be the cars, but part seems to also be the atitude of the owners towards maintainence.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default As far as the car your looking at goes....

...I would consider a different one. You reviewed the service record and it is either a lemon or the people did not know how to fix it.

There are a lot of 01's out there without all the problems, go find another one.

Nice job on doing your research first, most of us don't do it that way! Human nature gets the best of us and we buy.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:28 PM

Default hmmm.....

Is it possible that the executive knows that people expect "maintenance-free" vehicles, therfore do not take the time to maintain/fix them? (kinda the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" menatality- unfortunately maintenance falls in this camp as well)

If so, do not build a high quality car.

"Planned obsolescence??'
Old 11-05-2002, 04:43 PM

Default A8 Reliability Part II

Perhaps the next generation A8 will provide the measure of reliability we expect. We have to bear in mind that the A8 is a relatively new line, it certainly does not have the history of a 7 series of S class. Yes, I realize that the Lexus LS is new as well....yet Lexus was not trying to innovate, they simply replicated proven technology, with greater reliability.

Quick Reply: A8 Reliability