A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Suspension Softer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Suspension Softer

I live in South Africa and drive a 98 A8 with 35k on the clock.
Roadholding absolute perfect but our roads are getting worse and worse. The suspension is actually a bit stiff. Any way of getting it softer for a more comfortable ride. I am prepared to sacrifice a bit or road holding.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:45 PM

Default Re: A8 Suspension Softer

You could have some custom springs made for you. It can be hard to find somebody with the equipment though.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keep the springs, reduce the un-sprung weight.

Softer springs may not help. If you're traveling on bumpy roads and the ride is harsh you should consider reducing your unstrung weight. When you hit a bump in the road the wheel, rotor, caliper... and all their weight are accelerated in a vertical direction. The shocks and springs counter act this accelerated movement. A portion of this movement is converted to shock to the body of the car, this is what you feel. If the weight being moved (accelerated) is reduced then shock to the body of the car will also be reduced. You can reduce the un-sprung weight with lighter wheels, lighter calipers and lighter aluminum hat rotors. You can also replace your front suspension components. For model year 2000 Audi used more aluminum on the suspension to reduce un-sprung weight. The difference is ride quality is very noticeable, I've owned both a 1999 and 2001 so I have first hand experience.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Keep the springs, reduce the un-sprung weight.

Thanks John but would softer shocks not have the best immediate result. Since the sudden wheel movement creates more impact on the body if the shock absorber is solid.
I can understand that reducing the wheel weight will improve roadholding.
Do you know if the shocks are adjustable and if so if that is the case on the 98 A8?
Old 07-20-2001, 05:58 AM
Elder Member

Default Coilovers

Reducing unsprung weight per icsamerica will be a big help, but coilovers is another option.

Besides providing adjustable ride height, the main advantage of coilovers is that you get custom spring rates and adjustable shock valving, and you don't have to go stiffer. Many standard and softer springs should be readily available, and just reducing both front and rear spring rates by the same percentage (how much?) from stock should result in maintaining the car's balance.

The main problem will probably be tuning the shocks, the necessary shock valving is related to spring rate, and you'll need to be able to adjust both bump and rebound softer than the OE shocks. Also, you'll need to confirm that the shocks have adequate travel in bump.

The ultimate solution: reduce unsprung weight, coilovers, and $$$$
Old 07-22-2001, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for icsamerica

I've heard and read about the aluminum suspension changes from 1999 models ( which I have ) to the 2000/2001's. My questions is what would be the cost to change out those suspension parts to make it "more" aluminum? Would Audi ever consider replacing with these aluminum suspension parts should an owner complain about the "ride" for a charge?
Old 07-22-2001, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default You're on your own.

Audi won't help, the dealer might and I sugest you cosy up to them. I think you will have to pay for the parts and I don't know what they cost. A simple imperical test is to use a magnet to identify which parts are aluminum on the 2000/1 that could be replaced on the 199x. You'll need to do some hands on research but it'll be worth it.